Authors: Lydia Jorden

The only thing I enjoy about football games are the commercial breaks that allow me to continue my conversation without the overbearing fans yelling at the screen.

So, needless to say, I was quite indifferent when I learned about the stadium proposal. But, my indifference changed to sadness when I heard the various proposed locations for the stadium.

Am I the only one who stayed at the Hilton my senior year of high school while touring different universities and who enjoyed the lack of development around it?

But honestly, it’s really the land south of Moby that holds my most treasured memories.

My emotional and terrifying experience of running away from this lush, green area during freshman orientation to release myself from the terror of linking with strangers to form “CSU” while an overhead helicopter took our picture has no significance to the stadium location committee.

In an effort to mimic this level of insensitivity, I have composed a list of buildings that mean absolutely nothing to many students on campus as a plea to keep the natural state of Fort Collins clear from more stadiums.

The first buildings to go can be a joint-venture: Eddy and Clark C.

Eddy

Question: How many times have you skipped class because walking this far from any parking lot in the snow is too far? Answer: Every time. If that isn’t a reason to avoid this building, try finding the classrooms. It doesn’t take much for me to find a reason to skip class.

Professor, take note: when your student emails you that they were sick, chances are they simply could not find your classroom in that crazy labyrinth of the Eddy basement. The only sentimental memory I have in Eddy was when the power went out, but our economics professor still insisted we take the exam in the dark.

Clark C

Clark C is on a similar caliber to Eddy when it comes to aesthetic appeal. Chain smokers congregate outside, it smells stuffy inside and the musky classrooms never seem like they should be acceptable to health code standards.

Also, has anyone enrolled into the introductory psychology course and had the pleasure of perusing that basement? However, Clark C is home to many advertising professors who are near and dear to my heart — but it’s okay, we can make room for them in the business building.

The Library

The library is home to obnoxious students on the phone, a pillow-filled, make-out savvy bungalow in the corner of the coffee shop, and most importantly, pigeons.

So what does this type of environment mean to me? It means staying as far away as possible. It means joining the 99 percent of students who take their studying to the crowded coffee shop just to avoid the birds. In light of honoring the seriousness of the haters, yes, the library does have its perks that need to be considered before excavation, but at the end of the day, it can still go.

Gifford

Oh Gifford, how I will never forget how I walked into the men’s restroom because there were no signs to show gender differentiation between the bathrooms (Come on, CSU; it’s the least that could be done to make this building semi-functional).

My fondest memory in this building was when the woman in the computer lab let me print an attendance sheet for the class I TA-ed. It was a moment of urgency.

If you’ve ever tried to print in a lab that isn’t your “home base,” you know that you’re not going to get anywhere with those lab techs! Being close enough to the parking garage, in addition to my personal woes, makes this a primary building to be wrecked for a stadium.

College Avenue Gym

Does anyone even work out here? The only thing I have seen this place utilized for is for children who go to day-camp to congregate. The times I’ve driven past this gym I’ve caught a glimpse of the pool and it does look refreshing and historical. But, again, it holds no significance to most of the population of CSU students.

Although I’m not a football fan myself, if the stadium were to be on campus, I’m sure I would find my way to a game or two. But in the meantime, I suppose I’ll have to wait while extreme deliberation and extensive meetings are held to consider my proposal.

Lydia Jorden is a junior business major. Her column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com.