Authors: Erik Carman

Cupcakes and Ram spirit will be in abundance at CSU today, making this Friday just a little bit sweeter.
Friday, CSU celebrates Founder’s day –– a tradition that honors the school’s inception on Feb. 11, 1870. An event will be held on the Lory Student Center Plaza at 1:42 p.m. CAM the Ram, the CSU Pep Band and CSU Spirit Squad will be in attendance, as well as several free cupcakes and t-shirts, said Jennifer Dimas of the CSU Public Relations office in a news release on Wednesday.

This marks the university’s 142nd year as a college.
CSU Spokesman Kyle Henley said he felt the celebration of CSU’s birth was an important part of the year.

“Founder’s Day is all about getting everyone together and celebrating all the things that makes CSU special,” Henley said. “It’s nice to have a point in time where we can recognize that.”

CSU will also have a presence in the state capital as ACSU President Eric Berlinberg and Director of Governmental Affairs Chase Eckerdt head to Denver for an event to commemorate CSU.

Along with attending commemorative speeches, Eckerdt said he and Berlinberg will be speaking with state representatives and legislatures about CSU’s importance in the broader Colorado economy.

“It’s an event to showcase CSU and talk about our role in the state,” Eckerdt said. “It’s really good when you have students involved to interact and be a part of it.”

And for those with families wishing to take part in CAM the Ram’s birthday, CSU’s Alumni Association will be showcasing CAM at various locations off campus.

Melanie Smith of CSU’s Alumni Association, said CAM will be at Monkey Bizness in Denver on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Pump It Up in Fort Collins on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

“Anyone can come,” Smith said. “Kids can come up and get there picture taken with cam and pet him if they want.” She added that they would be family friendly events.

Those wishing to meet CAM this weekend are encouraged to RSVP through the university’s Alumni Association.

For those involved in Founder’s Day, such as Henley, the celebration of the school’s inception represents a timeless idea.

“CSU’s mission is just as important today as it was 142 years ago,” Henley said. “And that’s something we can all be proud of.”

Collegian writer Erik Carman can be reached at news@collegian.com.

– Birthday celebration on the plaza begins at 1:42 p.m. CAM the Ram, CSU Pep Band and CSU Spirit Squad will be in attendance In case of adverse weather, the celebration will be held at the Lory Student Center East Atrium. – ASCSU will travel to the State Capitol in Denver to speak with legislatures and state representatives to discuss CSU’s importance in the broader Colorado economy
-February 11, Cam’s birthday party: a Kid Friendly Founder’s Day Celebration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Monkey Bizness in Denver
-February 12, Cam’s birthday party: a Kid Friendly Founder’s Day Celebration from 1p.m. to 4 p.m. at Pump it up in Fort Collins.