Authors: Carrie Mobley

In an effort to stay up on a growing industry, Colorado State University announced Tuesday the creation of a new 11-month master’s degree program in applied statistics.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of statisticians is projected to grow about 13 percent from 2008 to 2018. The bureau says the increase in technological advances and ever-increasing computer speeds are the main causes of this growth.

“For one thing, the median salary is much higher for students who receive their master’s,” said CSU professor, and designer of the program, Mary Meyer. “(It’s) $80,000 for a person with zero to five years experience.”

The program will be available starting this summer and will have a total of 19 courses with 31 credits. It is expected to be widely successful and help students obtain a job right after graduation, while also attracting more students from around the country, said Meyer.

CSU student Seth Johnson said he came to the university to study mathematics and plans to go into the new statistics program, hopefully applying that degree to a career in computing.

“I envision the Master of Applied Statistics program as an opportunity to develop the skills necessary to transition to a new career path” Johnson said in an email to the Collegian. “I have always had a passion for working with numbers, but it was not until recently that I realized I wanted to build my career around it.”

Many career statisticians today can be found working with the federal government, scientific research, insurance and even pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing, and a master’s degree in statistics is required for most of these jobs.

The deadline to apply for the 2012-2013 program will be March 31.

Collegian writer Carrie Mobley can be reached at news@collegian.com.