Authors: Sabrina Norwood

The CSU figure skating team finally got to bring a sense of competition home Sunday during their first-ever home competition at Fort Collins’ Edora Pool Ice Center (EPIC).

The eight-member, all-female group hosted 60 skaters from five teams in the Pacific Intercollegiate Region, which includes CSU, Colorado College, the Univerisity of California-Berkely, the University of Denver and the University of California-Los Angeles.

“It is awesome to get the chance to host this [competition],” said junior liberal arts major and treasurer of the team, Vickie Stone. “We had to put in a lot of time and effort to hold this event here in Fort Collins.”

The students participating on the team have had some past experience skating and are always looking forward to improving their level of competition, said coach Pamela Kurtz.

“I like to tell the girls to set personal goals for themselves,” she said. “Our big team goal is to qualify for nationals, but each girl should be working on her own personal achievements.”

While some athletes’ goals are to advance a level, others focus on perfecting a stunt within their program.

“My personal goal for this season is to land an axel in my program,” said sophomore natural sciences major and acting team president Molly Parsons.

There are seven levels within figure skating competition, and in order to advance a level, the skater must pass a test.

The levels are: preliminary, pre-juvenile, juvenile, intermediate, novice, junior and senior.

Currently, CSU is tied with UC Berkley for second place in the Pacific Intercollegiate Region.

“We have a major advantage competing on our home ice,” Kurtz said. “We are very familiar with the area, and we have the altitude training that the teams from California do not.”

If CSU places in the top three spots for the season, they will qualify for nationals.

Nationals will be held April 21 and 22 in Colorado Springs at Colorado College.

Teams such as Dartmouth, Cornell, Sacred Heart, University of Delaware, Miami University and Michigan State University will be competing at nationals.

“It’s exciting to see that our students continue after high school. Our team has a lot of school spirit, and it’s a great thing when you have a sense of school spirit,” Kurtz said. “It’s great to see these athletes progress.”

The CSU figure skating team’s next competition will be held in Denver at DU.

Collegian writer Sabrina Norwood can be reached at news@collegian.com

Figure skating fast facts:
How many members are on the CSU team? Eight
Who do they compete against? Teams in the Pacific Intercollegiate Region, including CC, UC-Berkely, DU and UCLA.
Are they any good? Yes! They’re tied with UC-Berkely in their region and have a good chance at qualifying for nationals.