Authors: Allison Sylte

During a Friday morning press conference, CSU President Tony Frank and Vice President for Advancement Brett Anderson announced that CSU has reached its $500 million fundraising goal for the Campaign for Colorado State, an achievement that comes six months ahead of schedule.

“This is a day where you can absolutely say, ‘I’m proud to be a CSU Ram,”’ Anderson said to an assembled crowd of students, administration, press and faculty in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

The Campaign, the first of its kind for the university, was first publicly announced in August 2009, though it began its silent phase in 2005. The goal was to complete a $500 million fundraising effort in seven years.

The announcement came in the midst of criticism from some surrounding a proposal to build a $100 million on-campus stadium, something that Frank addressed during his speech.

“People have asked me recently, ‘Why don’t you spend money on academics?’” Frank said. “This is proof that we do that.”

Almost 90,000 people donated to the campaign, 30,000 of whom were first-time donors. Last year, CSU received $85 million in private donations, a 47 percent increase in private funding over the year prior.

This fiscal year, CSU is on pace to see a 20 percent increase in donations over last year.

“We launched the Campaign for Colorado State during one of the worst economic climates in any of our lifetimes,” Anderson said. “We knew the students, faculty and staff of CSU needed and deserved the support we could give them through a campaign, so we moved forward.”

CSU administrators chalk the increased emphasis on private donations to decreases in state funding. Frank said donations help the university maintain its land-grant mission of accessibility.

CU-Boulder launched a similar campaign in April 2011, which aims to raise $1.5 billion for CU’s four campuses. As of October, the campaign had raised $1 billion. CU President Bruce Benson previously chaired a campaign, ending in 2003, that raised $1 billion for the university system.

As for CSU, over the next six months, Frank said he won’t let up on Anderson, saying that the university hopes to continue its fundraising efforts.

“This campaign and its impact have proven why private fundraising matters so much to a public university,” Frank said.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The Campaign for Colorado State by the numbers:
-$508.3 million: Amount raised-to-date
-89,757: Overall number of donors
-15,372: Number of scholarships awarded to CSU students because of Campaign contributions
-16: Number of new chairs and professorships created by the Campaign
-39: Number of new facilities built or renovated
-66: Number of donations more than $1
-32,323: Number of donations from CSU alumni
-430: Number of new planned gifts

Campaign contributions by college:
College of Agricultural Sciences: $50.6 million
College of Applied Human Sciences: $25.5 million
College of Business: $27.2 million
College of Engineering: $115.4 million
College of Liberal Arts: $15.3 million
College of Natural Sciences: $23.8 million
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biological Sciences: $124 million
Warner College of Natural Resources: $59.4 million
Department of Athletics: $29.7 million