Weekender Calendar 2/3-2/5

Authors: Courtney Riley

MUSIC:
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
Busdriver with J.O.B. and QBala
8 p.m.
$8 day of, $11 under 21
According to last.fm, Busdriver is known for his “rapid-fire, jazzy, free-association style of hip-hop.”
“His rhymes sometimes border on dadaist and even pure nonsense, but there is almost always a concrete message amongst his fast-paced, seemingly stream of consciousness rhymes.”

Avogadro’s Number
Friday
Victor and Penny with Danielle Ate the Sandwich
8:30 p.m.
$10
Danielle “Ate the Sandwich” Anderson is dubbed as “Joni Mitchell meets Sarah Silverman,” according to her website. “Her melancholy and often times vulnerable songs are nicely contrasted by her humorous and engaging stage presence.”

Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon SUBMITTED PHOTO
Friday
Marty Nightengale
9 p.m.
Experience the “Marty Party” at Lucky Joe’s tonight with New York native Marty Nightengale.
“Only in his mid 20s, he’s already played a lifetime of gigs on the East Coast, from Boston to Key West and is now making his home in the Fort,” according to Lucky Joe’s’ website.
His sound is described as a mix of acoustic, pop and soul, and according to The Scene, “he’s an extremely talented guitar player with a naturally bluesy voice that has a distinct quality about it –– this is a voice you’ll remember. Don’t miss out!”
Nightengale is also playing at Pappy’s Corner Pub Saturday at 9 p.m.

Road 34
Friday
Three Amigos Show
9 p.m.
$20
Road 34 is hosting its 5th annual Three Amigos Show with Roger Clyne of the Peacemakers and the Refreshments, Johnny Hickman of Cracker and Jim Dalton of the Railbenders and the Peacemakers.
The trio will perform Saturday as well.
“Please join us for a very special evening with some of our favorite artists!”

Mishawaka Amphitheatre
Saturday
The Magic Beans
8 p.m.
$4.50
This “improvisational party band” from Boulder will be joined by special guests Jet Edison at the Mishawaka’s SpokesBUZZ Lounge.
“The Beans’ style is all encompassing and completely natural, using no pre-recorded tracks,” according to the band’s page on reverbnation.com, “but rather live instruments that range from the electric mandolin to the synthesizer to the banjo to create a genre spanning musical experience that is sure to leave no one out.”

Aggie Theatre
Saturday
Adventure Club with Omega, Seth Abrumz and Vinnie Maniscalco
8 p.m.
$10
Adventure Club is a rising dubstep remix group from Montreal.
According to goodmusicallday,com, “they range their remixes from 1960s classics, like their remix to Shangri-Las’ ‘Remember (Walkin’ In the Sand),’ post-hardcore rock, like their remix to Brand New’s ‘Daisy,’ to the sweet electronic sounds of today.”

Hodi’s Half Note
Sunday
Mike Dillon and Lovetet
8 p.m.
$5 day of, $7 under 21
Fort Collins’ own Lovetet describes its genre as “music for the soul” incorporating “jazz, funk, rock and love” on its Facebook page.
They are an “artistic sustainability community-oriented band focused on using music and art to create conscious alliances and bring lasting change and positivity into this world.”

THEATER:

Lincoln Center
OpenStage Theatre presents “The 39 Steps”
Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. Sunday at 2 p.m.
$22 to $27 regular
$16 to $20 senior, student, group and matinee
OpenStage Theatre’s humorous take on Alfred Hitchock’s film, “The 39 Steps” tells the story of more than 30 characters with just four actors.
SAME

Midtown Arts Center
‘Avenue Q: The Musical’
SAME

Midtown Arts Center
Saturday
‘The Dinner Detective’
SAME

Bas Bleu Theatre Company FILE PHOTO
Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
‘Trying’
$22 Regular, $17 senior, $12 student, $10 youth and $15 matinee
Joanna McClelland Glass’ “Trying” is based on her own experience in the 1960s.
“Trying shares how a 25-year-old girl and her employer –– a feisty, aristocratic, octogenerian judge –– manage to bridge the generation gap,” according to Bas Bleu’s website.

Candlelight Dinner Playhouse
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
‘Anything Goes’
6 p.m. evening shows, 12:30 p.m. matinees
$29.50- $60
Cole Porter’s Tony Award-winning classic “Anything Goes” is about a mess of mistaken identities amongst a gangster, wealthy debutante, nightclub singer and a rich businessman who board a transatlantic ship. Tickets include dinner, show and taxes, and beverages and dessert are extra.

MOVIES:
Lyric Cinema:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
The Descendants 2:00, 4:25, 6:45 and 9:00 p.m.
A Dangerous Method 1:45 and 6:15 p.m.
Shame 3:45 and 8:30 p.m.

LIFE:
Gardens on Spring Creek File PHOTO
Saturday
Grow Your Own Veggies
$15 members, $18 non-members
Call 970-416-2486 to register
Come to the Gardens on Spring Creek and learn how to create your own food-producing gardens at home. The event offers tips on garden size, container possibilities, selection of seeds and transplants, as well as how and when to plant, tend and harvest vegetables in your own backyard.

ART:
The Eyes Have It Submitted PHOTO
Friday
Valentine Jewelry Boutique
6 to 9 p.m.
The Eyes Have It is showcasing handmade jewelry, featuring Savvy Disco Designs, Pam Marshal’s Beguiling Baubbles, Lisa Raberge’s Moostruck Gems and Julia MacMillan’s Starry Days Jewelry. Attendees can meet the artists and view their jewelry collections.

Curfman Gallery
Friday from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 4 p.m.
Sara Schneckloth: Structure and Flow Exhibit
Free
“I believe that the act of drawing is a way of residing in multiple states of awareness – of present, past, future –– of what one is, has been, and hopes to become – of the physical, the mental, and the formal,” Schneckloth’s states on her website. “I draw as a way to see more deeply, both inside and out, and to elevate the act of seeing to a process that is fully engaging of both body and mind.”
This is the last weekend Sara Schneckloth’s work will be featured in the Curfman Gallery.