Authors: Cris Tiller

Outside of Christmas, I don’t look forward to any other day as much as Super Sunday.

That’s right, we’re talking about the Super Bowl.

I look forward to the Super Bowl every year because this game has provided me, and people like me, with some of the most amazing memories of our lives. Who could forget the incredible throw and catch made in 2007 from Eli Manning to David Tyree? Or Santonio Holmes’ tippy-toe catch in the corner of the endzone?

And for all you Bronco crazies, I have to mention John Elway’s helicopter collision at the goal line to help earn his first championship.

Since the 1960’s, men have been elevated beyond the status of mortals. They’ve become gods. Joe Namath, Marcus Allen, Joe Montana, Tom Landry and the man the trophy is named for, Vince Lombardi –– all hold special places in people’s hearts because of what they did on Super Sunday.

But what really makes the Super Bowl special is that it extends beyond the men on the field and reaches the fans unlike any other championship game. It’s a party.

Have fun, go out and relax. You don’t have to know anything about football or even care about the game itself.

The Super Bowl is a time to gather with people close to you bonded by football, food and family –– true American values. We can laugh together at the ridiculous commercials, mock the choice for the halftime entertainment and feast our eyes on the NFL’s most defining moments.

Football is a common ground we can find amongst each other. A rallying point for all Americans.

No better example exists than the city of New Orleans who found inspiration through its beloved Saints. A community ravaged by disaster was brought together by virtue of a football team and a Super Bowl championship in 2009.

So despite what Colleen McSweeney may say, there is something for everyone to take from the Super Bowl, and it’s not that hard to find.

Other countries have art, music or literature, but for at least one day a year, we have football.