Authors: Emily Kribs

Roller derby is back and better than ever, according to FoCoGirlsGoneDerby.com, the homepage of Fort Collins’ local roller derby team, the Micro Bruisers.

While the league consists exclusively of women, roller derby is a contact sport.

“Roller derby is overtly feminine in the way we dress, but it’s also very aggressive,” said Megan Lazorski, known in the rink as Slim Skatey. “It redefines femininity.”

The Micro Bruisers will be competing tomorrow at the Qdoba Event Center against the Slaugherhouse Derby Girls’ Prime Cuts. Doors open at 7 p.m. and tickets range from $10 to $15, while kids 12 and under can attend for free.

The competitive nature of the sport is evidenced by the helmets, mouth guards, braces and pads that each player wears.

“I’ve been really lucky so far (in terms of injuries) — and I’m knocking on wood here,” Lazorski said. “I have gotten minor injuries though, like I’ve gotten my thumbs jammed. Knee injuries are really prevalent in the sport.”

“You definitely need to have a lot of willpower and dedication,” Moriah Hummer said. “It’s really rigorous and a lot of hard work.”

“The time commitment is a big deal,” Lazorski said. “Like I work 50 hours a week, sometimes more. We have to do committee work, too. If you’re not dedicated, if you don’t put the time into it, you’re not going to progress or get better.”

Hummer also claims that to be a member of the team, you also need to be able to get along with others.

“There’s so many different kinds of people involved in this,” said Lazorski, listing scientists, stay-at-home moms, waitresses and students among the teams’ rosters.

There are two teams in Fort Collins; the A team is called the Micro Bruisers, and the B team goes by the Punchy Brewsters. Each team has about 14 players, and bouts against other A or B teams from places such as Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, Denver and Pike’s Peak.

“My favorite part of derby is the confidence it gives you and other women,” Hummer said. “When you join up you basically gain another family, as well as confidence in yourself.”

“You get to have fun with some awesome people,” Lazorski said. “It’s more aggressive than a lot of sports, but there’s still a lot of strategy to it… It’s such a great workout. It’s a great way to blow off steam from, you know, life. And grad school.”

Collegian writer Emily Kribs can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Micro Bruisers vs. Prime Cuts
Where: Qdoba Event Center
When: Saturday at 7:30 p.m. (Doors open at 7 p.m.)
Cost: Pre-sale tickets: $10, Day of event: $15, Students over 12 with ID: $10, Kids 12 and under: Free, Miliary with ID: $10
More info: www.FoCoGirlsGoneDerby.com