Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Saturday was a historic day for the men’s basketball team in an 77-60 upset victory over No.13/12 San Diego State — the first win over a top-25 team since 2003 and first over a top-15 team since the 1980s.

Unfortunately, only 6,038 people were in attendance to see arguably the best win in the program’s history. In case you were wondering, Moby holds 8,475 people.

We’re lucky to have an exciting basketball team led by a charismatic head coach, and it shouldn’t take gimmicks like free food from the marketing department to draw fans to the game.

The student section was awesome on Saturday, but we have to continue to go to games against the conference bottom feeders as well as the ranked opponents and show them we don’t need free pizza to get us to come to a game.

We need to continue to come out and support our Rams because let’s face it, we don’t have many opportunities to celebrate our athletic excellence.

You should go because the games are free to students and the players genuinely appreciate your support and want to put on a good show for their fans.

This team has a chance to give the university national recognition, to put us on the map.

So let’s put aside our excuses, take two hours out of our day twice a week, and cheer on our fellow Rams. They deserve it.