Authors: Erik Carman

After an early scheduling conflict, supporters of Ron Paul can now breathe easy as the congressman’s campaign confirmed his visit to the CSU campus on Tuesday.

“I am looking forward to my visit to Colorado State University because I love talking to the young people of this country,” Paul said in a statement released by his campaign. “The young people are with me because they agree that it is time to bring our troops home, stop the out-of-control spending and get government out of the way so the private sector can create jobs.”

Paul added that his philosophy of liberty and personal responsibility are well-received by young voters because they are young ideas.

Tickets for the event have already ran out, said Dr. Ken Stanton, president of Young Americans for Liberty, a student group that helped bring the congressman to campus.

“But we will allow an additional 300 people in,” Stanton said, adding that additional attendees would be subject to a first-come basis.

Matt Martinez, a junior environmental horticulture major who was also largely responsible for bringing Paul to campus through the student group Youth for Ron Paul (YFP), said the doors open to the public at 9 a.m.

Paul is set to speak at 10 a.m. for approximately 15 minutes. He will take some time to meet supporters and take pictures, before leaving at 10:45 a.m. to head to Denver, Martinez said.

Cary Covington, a political science professor at the University of Iowa, said college campuses are usually very receptive to the congressman.

“He has a very optimistic sense of the future that [young] people can tap into,” Covington stated.

Paul was originally slated to visit campus Tuesday afternoon when a scheduling conflict arose.

Martinez, who has acted as the event’s coordinator, said he received a call Friday afternoon that the event would be cancelled.

Martinez said he immediately sent an email to Paul’s campaign, highlighting several local issues residents would like to hear Paul discuss, as well as the tremendous level of support Paul has in this part of the state.

“I emphasized that Larimer County is pivotal is winning the Colorado caucus,” Martinez said.

A few hours later, Martinez said he received a call from Paul’s national campaign office, saying the event would be rescheduled to take place 10 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Officials from Paul’s national campaign have confirmed that the event is finalized.

“There’s been too much support,” Martinez said, adding that the event had received more than 400 RSVP’s in the 24-hour period leading up to Friday.

Paul is now scheduled to speak to students in the Main Ballroom of the Lory Student Center at 10 a.m. Tuesday. This is to be followed by a performance from local band Air Dubai. YFP will then hold a caucus training session at 11:15 a.m. for anyone interested.

Collegian writer Erik Carman can be reached at news@collegian.com

– Paul will address students Tuesday at 10 a.m. in the LSC Main Ballroom – He will speak for roughly 15 minutes, before taking some time to shake hands and take pictures – He will head to Denver at 10:45 a.m.