Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

With graduation looming, most college students wish they had a crystal ball. Turns out, they should probably have an internship instead.

In today’s Collegian, the page five article “How to get an internship” focuses on the importance of gaining work experience through internships in today’s less than stellar job market.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the number of college graduates in the U.S. has risen by 30 percent. So now, compared to 1.2 million graduates in 2000, most job hunters will be competing with more than 1.6 million bachelor’s degree holders.

So, what should you do to set yourself apart? You guessed it –– get an internship.

According to Scott Bergner, the director of marketing at Dream Careers Inc., internships offer students experience, which ultimately impacts a candidate’s job opportunities and starting salary.

“When they (companies) find a candidate who has previous internships, they are more willing to pay for that experience,” Bergner said in an email to the Collegian.

And while internships definitely help students in the working world, we think they can also serve other important purposes. Much like college, internships allow students to get out of their comfort zone, meet new people and acquire skills they never would have learned otherwise.

So talk to your professors, start networking and visit the Career Center. After all, it’s your future.

“Much like college, internships allow students to get out of their comfort zone, meet new people and acquire skills they never would have learned otherwise.”