Authors: Lydia Jorden

“I have this weird thing that if I sleep with someone, they’re going to take my creativity from me through my vagina.”

I wonder what Lady Gaga does about this. We all have unique superstitions we like to believe in order to make us feel better about certain situations. However, some superstitions, such as the one above, are much stranger than others.

These situations are generally new and worrying. Many people feel that they can suppress the anxiety by following some sort of superstition. These occasions can range from driving to your first class of the semester, less anxious after finding a penny on the ground or it can even go so far as wearing your lucky underwear on a first date.

A straightforward explanation of superstition is participating in rituals due to lack of understanding about a particular situation.

Cameron Diaz is the perfect example –– she believes her aging will slow down if she wears a specific chain, while Michael Jordan is notoriously known for submitting to superstition by wearing his University of North Carolina shorts under his uniform during every game.

Celebrities are not the only people who share a need for making up rationale for what they fear. Specific events can even be the product of fantasy.

Groundhog Day, which originally occurred to determine how much longer winter will last, has been a topic on slow news days annually. Feb. 2, Groundhog Day, is only one week away. For the sake of my pasty white skin, I know we can all agree that our hopes rest in the groundhog not seeing his shadow. But let’s be real, my skin tone won’t be influenced by the groundhog.

Participating in superstition can be a fun and silly way of interacting with your friends and making light of an unknown situation. But bearing the cost of a strange situation through the use of useless rituals is absurd and should be challenged.

One of the most known superstitions involves rerouting your direction because a black cat is crossing your path. What’s wrong with a black cat crossing your path? Uh, hello! It used to be a crazed witch.
History reveals that during the Middle Ages, people believed that witches could transform into cats. This old folktale is still in existence today, which makes people associate these felines with something dangerous and evil. In reality, a black cat is just a cuddly ball of fluff making its way over to you for some love.
The key to combating the fears that result in superstitions is to understand the history behind them.

I’ve had my fair share of complaints when I open umbrellas indoors. But the real science behind this confusing taboo action comes from when umbrellas used to act as a means of shade from the sun. When the umbrella opened indoors, it was understood as an insult to the Sun God.

If you think it is strange to surrender to these ancient ways of living, open your mind to more controversy surrounding umbrellas. Such as, if a single woman drops an umbrella, she will never marry.

Well, there goes my future, because I’m pretty sure I’ve dropped umbrellas multiple times inside.

Dammit!

I’ll admit that I have participated in my fair share of superstitious behavior. And it didn’t work out quite as well as I had hoped.

Carrying a rabbit’s foot for luck reminded me of my extreme allergy and an unattractive hives outbreak. Knocking on wood reminded me of my ability to get splinters from just about anything. Breaking a mirror broke my wallet since I had to buy a new one, and avoiding cracks in the sidewalk reminded me that I should really look where I am going to avoid a collision with a bicyclist.

Once a person begins to accept situations for what they are and stops trying to influence these occasions with what could be, these silly superstitions will be put to an end.

You can be in control of any situation as long as you understand the situation around you. The key to understanding is asking “why?” Because, let’s be real, knocking on wood will not dismiss something negative from happening to you. If you approach this situation with the “why?” you will be able to see that this originates from gods and goddesses to grant physical health and eternal life. Over time, this tradition was passed on to us.

Sure, some superstitions are fun and entertaining to track. But be careful not to root yourself in too deep, or else one day your behaviors may not even be your own, but a product of generations past.

Lydia Jorden is a junior business major. Her column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com.