Our View on ASCSU

Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Last year we each paid them $35.92 in student fees. They’re the ones who distribute those snazzy, green t-shirts we got at the beginning of freshman year, they give us non-judgemental rides home when we’re wasted and they’re also the ones who revoked our free planner privileges.

They are the Associated Students of CSU, and most students on campus probably don’t know who the hell they are. But they should.

And that’s precisely why you should all open up that email ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg sent you yesterday and actually check out the ASCSU Accountability Report.

This report details all of the things that ASCSU, and specifically Berlinberg, have done this year to try and make life better here at CSU.

From noticeable changes, like RamRide Return and the new late-night bus service, to the more obscure, like the creation of a Traditions Council (look it up), this report details the various initiatives that our student fees are paying for.

This isn’t high school anymore. Our student government has a $2 million budget, which, for better or worse, largely determines how our university operates and what kind of experience we have as students.

And with more than 125 employees and volunteers, ASCSU is a relatively small group that has an awful lot of power to dictate how you’re going to get home when you’re drunk and if you really need that awesome, free planner.

So read up on what they do, CSU, and give our student government your input. Because while you might not know who they are, ASCSU actually does matter.Last year we each paid them $35.92 in student fees. They’re the ones who distribute those snazzy, green t-shirts we got at the beginning of freshman year, they give us non-judgemental rides home when we’re wasted and they’re also the ones who revoked our free planner privileges.

So read up on what they do, CSU, and give our student government your input. Because while you might not know who they are, ASCSU actually does matter.