Authors: Andrew Schaller

In a game they never trailed, the CSU women’s basketball team was able to hold off a late rally by Wyoming on Saturday to hang on for a 62-58 win.

A 10-point Rams lead with 10:34 remaining in the game slowly shrank to a two-point lead with 50 seconds remaining, thanks to Wyoming’s (6-11, 2-2 MW) hot three-point shooting down the stretch.

“It’s kind of scary because they’re really good shooters,” Kim Mestdagh said. “And definitely when they’re shooting 80 percent from the three, I mean, it’s kind of a concern…but I think we handled it fine.”

Down by two, Wyoming’s last possession ended in a sloppy attempt by Kaitlyn Mileto to get the ball inside to Chaundra Sewell, but stifling defense by the Rams concluded with a steal by Sam Martin.

“Kaitlyn went by the big, and she made the right decision, just didn’t complete the pass,” Wyoming coach Joe Legerski said. “I thought Colorado State made a good play on it.”

Martin then made two free throws with one second remaining, sealing the victory for the Rams (7-12, 3-1 MW).

Wyoming mounted its comeback on the back of Kayla Woodward, who led all scorers with 23 points on the day, her third 20-point performance in the last four games.

“I just know I have to be more aggressive,” Woodward said. “And when I’m aggressive, that helps the team out too.”

Mestdagh once again led the Rams in scoring with 21 points, her second 20-plus point performance in as many games.

“Kim is just kind of back to herself,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “She had a solid game tonight and was looking for her shot, and that’s what we need her to do.”

Effective guard play was key for the Rams, as Martin struggled with early foul trouble, and Kelly Hartig sat out early because of a leg injury incurred in the first half.

CSU’s guards protected the ball, propelling the Rams to a season-low 11 turnovers in the game — 10 less than their 21.3 turnover per game average.

“That’s 10 extra possessions where we can do something,” Mestdagh said. “I think that helped out a lot.”

Next, CSU will play New Mexico Wednesday in another MW matchup.

“We’ve still got a lot of basketball to play,” Holt said. “But that being said, for us to kind of gain our confidence through all of this and win at home, I think it only helps our team just grow.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com

Team Leaders
CSU – Kim Mestdagh
Points: 21
Rebounds: 5
FG: 8-14
3-pt: 3-6
Wyoming – Kayla Woodward
Points: 23
Rebounds: 6
FG: 9-11
3-pt: 3-3