Authors: Andrew Schaller

After a disappointing loss to TCU on Saturday, the CSU women’s basketball team was able to bounce back and get a win on the road against Boise State 60-52 Tuesday night.

CSU stormed out to a 14-point lead early in the first half, but some hot shooting from Boise State gave them a one-point lead with 15:39 remaining in the second half.

“I think at that point, we looked really tired,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “When we came out at half, I didn’t think that energy was as high.”

The Rams were able to regain the lead shortly after Boise State’s comeback thanks to outstanding performances from Kim Mestdagh and Sam Martin, who scored 21 and 19 points, respectively.

The game marked the first time that both Mestdagh and Martin scored over 13 points in a game since Dec. 4 against Toledo.

Martin played through a knee injury that left her limping at times on the court, and forced her to leave the floor a few times and get on a courtside stationary bike.

“I’m not injuring them (my knees) more when I’m on the floor,” Martin said. “You’ve got to push through it mentally, and just kind of like, do it for your team — we really wanted that win.”

When the Rams weren’t feeding the ball to Martin in the post, Mestdagh was finding shots from the outside.

In one of her best all-around games of the year, she shot 8-for-14 from the field for 21 points, and grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds giving her a double-double for the first time this season.

“I got a couple easy shots at the beginning of the game,” Mestdagh said. “And then, I kind of, I didn’t really have those open looks anymore (later in the game) so I went more inside.”

The victory puts the Rams in third place in the MW with a 2-1 in-conference record on the young season.

Next, the Rams will return to Fort Collins to play Wyoming and New Mexico, and will look to draw from the experience of winning close games in hostile environments throughout the rest of their conference schedule.

“If we’re going to do anything in our conference, you’ve gotta get road wins,” Holt said. “Hopefully our kids can learn from today about what we have to do to be successful.”

Women’s Basketball beat writer Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.