Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

New CSU football coach Jim McElwain encountered his first adversity in his new position Tuesday when starting quarterback Pete Thomas was released from his scholarship to pursue other opportunities along with five others.

On the surface, losing a team’s starting quarterback appears to be a significant blow, but for the Rams it is largely irrelevant. As for the other five departing players, only two saw any playing time and had little to no impact.

Thomas’ desertion should not be seen in any other light than a blessing. It gives McElwain a young quarterback in Garrett Grayson who clearly wants to be the leader of this team and a quarterback who brings more to the table from an athletic standpoint.

In two seasons as the Rams’ starter, Thomas won a total of six games compared to 18 losses. His freshman year was not outstanding, but it left hope for drastic improvement in Thomas’ sophomore campaign, but no progress was shown, in fact he regressed.

Thomas dropped from 64 percent completion down to 62 percent. He threw four fewer touchdowns and nearly as many interceptions in three fewer games.

For his career Thomas threw 18 touchdowns compared to 21 interceptions and never showed the ability to be a play maker.

So long Thomas, and good riddance.