Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Only one person has ever lived to be over 120: Jeanne Calment of France, who died at age 122 in 1997 after outliving her children and grandchildren.

And while we know that the Collegian’s not a person (although members of the Ed Board sometimes feel like we’re dating it), for this reason alone, we still think that 120 years is an accomplishment, and we hope for another 120 more.

What a 120 years it has been. The Collegian has seen two world wars, the Kennedy assassin, the advent of the Internet and the Monica Lewinsky scandal. We were there for the rise and fall of MySpace, Pokemon and Michelle Bachmann, and we survived a flood and a separation from the university.

CSU students have loved us, and often hated us. But somehow, the Collegian’s stuck around.

Part of this is a testament to the outstanding people who have walked through our doors through the years. We’re lucky to count the managing editor of the Washington Post, a famous political columnist and even the director of presidential communications for Tony Frank among our alumni.

Another big part of why the Collegian is still around is that we’re lucky enough to be on a campus that perpetually gives us amazing stories to tell –– that gives us reasons every day to keep doing what we love.

But at the end of the day, our 120th birthday is really a testament to you, our readers, for supporting us through the good times and the bad. Hopefully, these next 120 years will be as great as the first.

So, quoting the great 50 Cent, join us in saying, “Hey Collegian, it’s yo’ birthday. We gonna party like it’s yo’ birthday!”