Authors: Allison Knaus

For members of the CSU cycling team, the week before finals is much more than just “dead week;” it’s a chance to raise money and look ahead to the upcoming cycling season.

The Rams Cycling Team were in the Clark A building Thursday selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts for $1 as part of their doughnuts for dead week fundraising event. The fundraiser will continue Friday.

The money raised during the two-day event will go toward helping the team with costs of travel, race registration and additional fees, said team vice president Zach Allison, a senior exercise science major.

“We have quite a bit of expenses and don’t receive much funding,” he said. “We have to pay our way into all of our races, which can get pretty expensive.”

The almost 50-member team, made up of both men and women – all of whom are CSU students or faculty – receive partial funding from the university’s sports club budget but are required to fundraise for the additional costs.

Currently ranked third in the Rocky Mountain collegiate conference, most days of the week are spent practicing around town.

“All of us are pretty serious about cycling, and it’s been that way since the team started in the 70s,” said Nate Prewitt, a cycling team member and senior computer science major.

Approaching his fourth year on the team, Prewitt said he got involved with the cycling team with no previous experience in the sport.

“I’d never been involved with cycling before and just went out on a whim and thought I might actually like it,” he said. “Now it’s become 20 hours of my week, and I love it.”

According to Logan VonBokel, a senior economics major and cycling team president, any CSU student can join the cycling team with any level of experience.

“We’re really into developing new riders and growing as a team,” VonBokel said.

For more information about how to get involved with the CSU Rams cycling team, visit www.ramcycling.com.

_Collegian writer Allison Knaus can be reached at news@collegian.com. _

Dead week doughnuts
What: The CSU cycling team is selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts for $1
When: Thursday and Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Clark A