De-Stress in Three Steps

Authors: Hannah Woolums

As the calendar rolls into December, the stress level of CSU students rises. So how are students supposed to stay calm and focus during this hectic and agonizing time? Here are three easy ways to de-stress and stay on track.

1. Exercise: When the going gets tough, you need to get going! Exercise is one of simplest ways to increase your focus and relieve anxiety or stress. Also, CSU students have access to a nice and convenient gym. Try a 30 to 60 minute work-out.

2) Take a power nap: When stressed, many students feel like they have time to do nothing else but study. However, what your body needs most is a break. Hit your bed for a 10 to 20 minute power nap. This will give you the energy boost you need to stay awake.

3) Try a muscle relaxation routine: These techniques allow you to get the same outcome as a power nap in ten to fifteen minutes. Done correctly, this approach causes you to feel relaxed and refreshed.

Focus on relaxing the different sections of your body by starting at the top and working your way down. Take some deep breathes to calm down, then stretch your head and shoulders by gently rolling them. Next, try tensing and relaxing your muscles. By tightening and releasing your muscles, you are allowing your body to let go and relax.

Information provided by the CSU health network. Please visit their website for more in depth information about relieving stress.