Authors: Kevin Lytle

Following three-straight 3-9 seasons, CSU football coach Steve Fairchild has been removed from his position.

So what’s next?

For the immediate future, starting Monday, all coaches other than Fairchild will operate as normal.

All assistants will head out on recruiting trips, despite not knowing who the next coach will be, or if they will even be a part of the new regime.

“The new head football coach will decide what his staff looks like,” Athletic Director Jack Graham said. “They’ll (the assistant coaches) have an opportunity to stay at CSU. The new coach will talk to each and every one of them about staying on. He will get to make the decision.”

In the meantime, secondary coach Tim Duffie has been named transitional coach by Graham.

“Tim’s the guy that’s in charge of the football team right now,” Graham said. “His focus will be to continue to recruit, aggressively recruit, to communicate the vision that Tim and I are aligned around.”

While the new coaching hire will likely be the defining choice in Graham’s tenure as athletic director, it is a decision that will have to move fast.

Recruiting season begins immediately following the final game, and the later a coach is hired, the more likely it is that their first recruiting class will be low in numbers and quality.

“I would like this to happen as quickly as possible without compromising the quality of the search,” Graham said.

To conduct the search, CSU has hired Spencer Stuart, an international research firm to help assist the process.

Spencer Stuart operates in 28 countries and specializes in helping companies hire people into leadership positions.

CSU will pay Spencer Stuart $250,000 for its role in hiring a new coach.

“We’re getting what I would characterize as professional, expert advice in helping us to go find a good head football coach,” Graham said.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.