Authors: Andrew Schaller

On the second game of its first extended road trip, CSU was unable to overcome an offensive onslaught by Montana State, falling 87-69 Monday.

After jumping out to an early six-point lead, the Rams allowed a 13-1 run, leading to a scoring explosion for Montana State, which was able to score more points against the Rams than any other team this season.

“I think we were kind of lax defensively,” said CSU coach Kristen Holt. “You can’t give up 47 points in the first half and expect to win on the road.”

Montana State was able to play with the lead for most of the game thanks to double-digit scoring coming from five different players, leaving the Rams wondering who the ball would go to next.

“It was definitely not what I expected,” Montana State coach Tricia Binford said. “I thought it was gonna be a lot tighter.”

The Rams battled back into the game in the second half, cutting the deficit to 12, but the game was really never in doubt while the Rams’ defense struggled to make stops.

“We just couldn’t stop them on defense for a while there,” sophomore Sam Martin said. “They went on a run and that’s kind of where they got us.”

While their defense struggled throughout the game, the Rams were able to use their height advantage in the game to lead Montana State in rebounds 45-39, though many of the rebounds came off makeable shots for the Rams.

“We got 23 offensive rebounds, but most of those were our own misses,” Holt said. “We’ve got to make those two-foot shots.”

The Rams turned the ball over 19 times during the game, but the team will now try to put this game behind them, and try to stay focused through the next two games of the road trip against Northern Colorado and Toledo.

“Our turnovers still are hurting us, and I think we need to stick with what’s working in the game and try to win that way,” junior Meghan Heimstra said. “We have a lot to learn.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The game

Final: Montana State: 87 CSU: 69

Up next: Northern Colorado

When: Dec. 2 at 7 p.m.

Where: Greeley, Colo.