Authors: Andrew Carrera

December is descending and so are the holidays. Campus and community organizations are planning an array of events celebrating days that carry significance for Fort Collins residents of various stripes.

The Salvation Army

The Protestant charity organization is currently organizing its seasonal Christmas Angels Program, an ongoing event in which families and individuals can sign up to be “adopted” by other families.

“They can sign up for any assistance that they need,” said Larry Jones, a spokesperson for the organization’s Fort Collins chapter.

Those adopted are typically gifted hygiene items, pajamas, socks and underwear.

“And I’m sure there’s toys in there too,” Jones said.

Approximately 1,000 families participate in the program. Those interested in participating are encouraged to call (970) 207-4472.

The Salvation Army is also holding its well-known kettle drive, during which folks needing work are hired to ring bells that call attention to hanging red pots that serve as money collectors.

Jones added that on Dec. 1, the organization is supporting a Christmas tree lighting ceremony at First Presbyterian Church near the corner of College Avenue and Mulberry Street taking place from 6 to 7 p.m. Realities for Children, which provides emergency funding for abused, neglected and at-risk youth in Larimer County, are the event’s main organizers.

Hot chocolate, spiced cider and coffee will be served.

Greek Life

Fraternities and sororities are returning from fall break after performing Thanksgiving philanthropy only to put together more charitable events for the community.

Natalie Smith, CSU’s Multicultural Greek Council president, said that the eight Greek life groups she oversees are organizing a fundraiser for a local association called the Intercultural Community Builders.

Each fraternity and sorority will conduct short presentations about holiday traditions like Las Posadas, Kwanzaa, Hannukah, Chinese New Year and many others. A silent auction and song performances from local musicians will also be held.

“The event trains kids and adults to become better intercultural facilitators,” said MGC Advisor Rich Salas.

The event will be held at the Northside Aztlan Community Center near the corner of College Avenue and Willow Street. Admission is $6 for adults and $5 for children and seniors. Organizers expect 150 to 200 participants to attend.

Student Organization of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and the Transgendered

The campus SOGBLT is hosting their annual holiday party Dec. 8 from 6 to 8 p.m., the location of which is still to be determined.

“It’s a great way to get involved. It’s a social event, versus our other meetings that are task- oriented where people are doing work,” said Jess Cytron, the organization’s president. “I feel like all our social events are more appropriate for people who are interested in joining the group.”

She expects 30 to 40 people to attend the event.

On top of food and games, expect to see Cytron and a friend dress up in Mr. and Mrs. Clause outfits.

“I’ll be Mr. Clause, and he’ll be Mrs. Clause, obviously,” she said. “That’s not to be Christian centric. I mean, I’m Jewish. We’re not trying exclude other faiths. The reason we dress up as Mr. and Mrs. Clause is because that’s the only recognizable characters during this time of year. And it’s funny.”

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.