Authors: Emily Kribs and Libby Williams

Libby Williams (Seasoned):

With finals rolling around, there is going to be a lot of studying in the near future. And where do you go to study? The library. That is intuitive. Historically, the library is supposed to be a nice, quiet place designed for you to focus, learn or just relax.

But recently, the Morgan Library is NOT that sanctuary. It is actually one of the most counterproductive places to try to hit the books…at least in my mind. I don’t know about you, but in my book, there are three “Golden Rules” of library etiquette:
Be quiet.

Don’t make noise.

Ssshhhhhhh!

None of these are met in CSU’s library. Not only is construction a cause, but students lacking library manners are also to blame.

Everybody knows that when finals are upon us, the library is hopping. During the term, it’s pretty hard to find a place for a group to study, but during finals it is nearly impossible. Then, if you do find a spot, there are those library junkies hanging out at the table behind you, showing each other YouTube videos and laughing like nobody else is around.

If you don’t come across that scenario, then you’ll probably be studying in an area where construction workers, hidden behind plastic (non-soundproof) tarps, are continually yelling to one another. If that isn’t counterproductive, I don’t know what is.

And remember, the reason the shouting construction workers are even in the library is to work, which typically means they are going to make noise. Maybe you won’t be bothered by people talking, but as you enter the library, you must beware of the constant commercial clatter, otherwise known as the jackhammer.

You just have to get used to pounding while you are memorizing the theories of social behavior. Then pray that the jackhammer racket didn’t rattle all of that information right out of your head.

I really do appreciate having a library on campus. If you can’t find somewhere else to go, there is always the potential to find a soundproof cubicle/room in the library. I also understand that construction is just temporary.

But even when the construction dust wasn’t drifting through the Morgan Library, the obnoxious people have made it difficult for me to concentrate. The “Golden Rules” of the library need to be slammed into people’s heads the first day they step foot in a library to read “Hop on Pop.”

People need to be AFRAID to make a peep in the library.

This finals season, I’m not attempting the library. As crazy as the LSC’s dining area seems, I’ll probably post up downstairs in a nice little study spot by Subway. Maybe it is my terrible attention span, but I just can’t seem to get ANYTHING done in the library.

Emily Kribs (Fresh):

How old are you? I can understand some frustration with the dearth of library etiquette, but gosh. Do you sit in your creaky rocking chair on your front porch, shotgun in hand and wait to lay down the law on kids trespassing on your lawn, too?

However, I’ll agree the library is hardly the secure sanctuary of silence it’s supposed to be. With construction going on, that was an unlikely expectation in the first place. But even in high school — my high school, at least — one would be hard-pressed to keep that number of people quiet for any length of time, and that library was one room. With multiple floors and more than 13 times the number of students, I can’t say I was expecting too different.

As you’ve mentioned, there are quiet rooms — assuming you reserve one ahead of time. I’ve often found the basement to be hushed to the point where it feels oppressive, so perhaps that would suit your demands.

There’s plenty of other quiet places to go, too. None of them are completely silent, of course, but if you want to be able to hear that weird ringing in your ears, you’d probably have to pay real money for the privilege.

I’m not going to name all the quiet seats I’ve found for studying; that would be a foolish invitation for others to put an end to that hush; not to mention that, after my preliminary accusations, I don’t exactly want to give you tips on where to find me. But there are quite a few academic buildings with study space in the lobby or the halls. The LSC also has some quiet space on the top floor.

Another option would be earplugs. They are not only an effective way to block out sound, but also cheap and convenient. Seriously, if the cubic inch they take up in your bag is too much, you can squash them down to a millimeter thick to save space. They’re not foolproof — if they’re too big or too small for your ears, there’s really no help for you. They can be uncomfortable, too. But if you can find a pair that works for you, the number of quiet spaces just increased vastly.

Of course, I haven’t even been in college a semester. Maybe I’ll be eating my words next time I’m scouting out a quiet place to study. But if nothing else, perhaps some folks will read this and try to keep their voices down in the library.