Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Poudre Fire Authority chooses new fire chief

Poudre Fire Authority has selected Tom DeMint as the new fire chief. On Nov. 21 PFA Board of Directors Chairperson Lisa Poppaw announced the selection of DeMint. A contract for DeMint will be voted upon at the next PFA board meeting.

“I am both honored and humbled to be chosen as the new PFA chief,” DeMint said in a news release. “I look forward to PFA moving into the future with a group of women and men that
are capable, motivated, engaged and professional. Together we can accomplish great
things.”

The national search for the new fire chief consisted of 78 applicants and was narrowed down to three finalists.

DeMint, who comes from PFA, has more than 34 years of emergency experience and started working as a firefighter in 1988.

Men’s basketball wins two straight after blowout loss

The CSU men’s basketball returned home from a National Invitational Tournament loss to Stanford to play Southern Mississippi on Nov. 19.

The Rams got blown out 79-58 after USM’s LaShay Page scored 30 points while hitting eight three-pointers.

But CSU bounced back winning back-to-back games in the NIT consolation bracket.

An 85-75 win over the University of Texas-San Antonio snapped a two-game losing streak for the Rams. Senior walk-on Kaipo Sabas starred, scoring a career-high 15, shooting 5-6 from three.

The next night CSU won 91-86 in overtime in a slug fest against Manhattan College.

The game saw 61 fouls and 90 free throws. CSU made a school-record 43 free throws on the night.

The win gives CSU an early season record of 4-2.

Women’s basketball loses to local rivals

The CSU women’s basketball team lost to two local schools, CU-Boulder and University of Denver.

The Rams hosted CU on Nov. 20 and were run out of the gym.

CSU scored on its first possession, but didn’t score until over nine minutes later as CU started the game on an 18-2 run.

The Buffs were led by guard Chucky Jeffery, who scored 14 points and notched seven assists.

CSU then went to Denver on Nov. 23 to play DU. Sophomore Sam Martin had a career-day, putting up 28 points and 13 rebounds.

But the Rams lost a late lead and lost 64-61 to see their record drop to 1-4 on the season.

NBA to start season Christmas Day

After about 150 days, the NBA lockout is coming to an end.

According to the Washington Post, NBA owners and players reached a handshake deal on Saturday, Nov. 26, agreeing that teams will start playing games on Christmas Day.

The negotiation session lasted 15 hours, closing with a joint news conference at about 3:30 a.m. to state that the lockout is almost over.

Some of the details have not been disclosed, but the NBA players agreed to a compromise that includes a 49-51 percent “band” of basketball-related income, according to the Washington Post.

The NBA will open training camps on Dec. 9. The 66-game season will officially kick off Dec. 25 with three games, including Boston at New York, an NBA Finals rematch of Miami at Dallas and Chicago at the Los Angeles Lakers.

Skating rink rings in holiday season

The Old Town Ice Rink opened Nov. 19, offering residents and visitors alike a chance to enjoy an annual Fort Collins tradition.

All ages are welcome, with admission costing $2 and skate rentals costing $1.

For a full schedule of the rink’s hours, and a list of other holiday events, visit www.downtownfortcollins.com.