Authors: Kevin Lytle

The CSU women’s basketball team got trampled 72-53 Sunday at Moby Arena by in-state rivals CU-Boulder.

The first 10 minutes set the tone for the entire game.

CSU (1-3) scored 16 seconds into the game, and not again until over nine minutes later.

“It’s like they came and just hit us in the face and we didn’t fight back right away,” said sophomore Sam Martin, who scored five points on 2-11 shooting. “It took us a little bit longer to start fighting back. We played really hesitant on offense in the beginning.”

During that stretch the Rams had seven straight possessions that ended in turnovers. Throughout the night CSU was unable to protect the ball.

Twenty one CSU turnovers turned into 25 points for CU (3-0). The Rams were only able to score nine points off of turnovers. That difference was effectively covered the point difference at the end of the game.

“It’s so deflating. It’s so demoralizing to have that many turnovers,” coach Kristen Holt said. “And some of them are just not aggressive turnovers. Just telegraphing passes and playing tired and just letting the ball go.”

While CSU struggled early, CU was able to capitalize, growing a 16 point lead before the Rams scored their second basket. And that lead was basically maintained throughout.

CSU narrowed the deficit to 11 at one point, but for most of the afternoon it hovered around 20 points.

CU used an incredibly balanced attack to take down the Rams. The Buffs had seven scorers, six of them scored eight points or more.

“That’s great,” guard Chucky Jeffery said of the balanced scoring. “Because then teams have to play everybody. It’s not just, oh she’s a key player, she’s a key player. During the game the help is going to be hard because you have to guard everybody on the floor.”

Jeffery led that group of scorers with 14 points, six rebounds and four assists.

And that production came in her first start of the year. She had been coming off the bench, but coach Linda Lappe decided to have her in from the beginning.

“I thought she did a great job stepping into that role,” Lappe said. “I thought she was nervous at the beginning of the game a little bit. So I pulled her out quick and let her get composed.”

After the loss CSU now has a couple days off before playing at the University of Denver on Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.