Authors: Erik Carman

War, what is it good for? CSU students may have this question answered Wednesday as Iraq war veteran and political activist Adam Kokesh comes to campus to discuss issues of war and peace.

Kokesh, a former sergeant in the Marines, is known for his radio and television show “Adam vs. the Man,” and his website adamvstheman.com. He is also a former New Mexico republican congressional candidate.

Upon returning home from Fallujah, Iraq after his tour in 2004, Kokesh said he saw a disconnect between what he was being told as a solider regarding the war, and what was actually going on.

“Right now we see the system starting to collapse on it self,” Kokesh said, adding that he wants to talk to CSU students about the significance of foreign policy. “I really believe that a millennium from now, people will look back at our generation as the ones who wielded the Internet and took down the government.”

Kokesh said access to the Internet is something that makes our generation unique, in that it creates a low tolerance for deception and intolerance.

“Politicians can still lie to us,” Kokesh said. “But they can’t get away with it for very long.”

Kokesh said his goal is to inspire people to get involved in social issues and change thoughts on foreign policy from coercion and force, to logic and persuasion.

Edward Furst, the event’s organizer, and member of CSU’s Young Americans for Liberty (YAL), said the group is trying to do one thing.

“We want to spread one message,” Furst said. “End the wars, end them now.”

CSU’s YAL chapter, which plans to bring presidential candidate Ron Paul to CSU in February, is one of the most active ones in the country, said Alyson Stanton, a graduate occupational therapy student and YAL member.

Furst said Kokesh garners a lot of appeal to the younger, college-aged crowd, because he is a “young, impassioned speaker.”

Stanton said YAL’s goal in hosting this event is to educate people about the ways in which wars affect our personal liberty and lives here at home.

Students can see Kokesh on the plaza from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., in Clark A104 from 3 to 5 p.m., and at Ridgeview Classical School, for a community event from 7:30 to 9 p.m.

“I’m happy to answer any questions,” Kokesh said. “I’m always the last one to leave.”

Collegian writer Erik Carman can be reached at news@collegian.com.