Authors: Emily Luft

“I don’t really like Amy Poehler. She’s not funny.”

Ugh, I hate when people’s opinions are wrong. This is the moment when I realized my roommate wasn’t worth my time. You see, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are the best. If you think otherwise, you’re welcome to can it.

Growing up, I was a heavy consumer of “Saturday Night Live.” As a teenager, I would sit and record old SNL re-runs on VHS, cut out the commercials and label them with care in the pre-dawn of DVR and Netflix Watch Instantly. Weekend Update was my lifeblood. I learned about the world through a filter of mean jokes, political satire and offensive celebrity impressions.

Tina and Amy were my heroes and I wanted to be them…still do. In fact, I may be a bit too emotionally attached to the duo. I cried when Tina Fey left “Saturday Night Live,” and I consider seeing Amy Poehler in New York City more of an accomplishment than graduating high school.

You’d think I carry around photos of them in my wallet (I don’t! I swear!). But the more I talk about it, the more I realize I’m not alone. These ladies are in high demand. They may be competing for public attention with over-tan broads like Snooki and Kim Kardashian, but they certainly aren’t losing. As it turns out, brains are just as appealing as bimbos. They’re still the nerds in school, but they’re also the popular kids.

Their success is great and all, but I get jealous. But, I also get proud. Some seriously conflicting emotions are in play here. I want them to succeed, I want them to be on the cover of every magazine and I want them to win all the Emmy’s.

No one is allowed to say anything bad about them, ever. You didn’t like all the lines in “Baby Mama”? Wrong. You didn’t read Tina Fey’s “Bossypants”? How dare you! But if someone else says Tina Fey is his or her favorite celebrity, I get upset. She’s MY favorite celebrity. You have to like them, just not as much as me, of course. I’m mostly kidding. It’s just hard to see your kids grow up. It all happens so fast.

In case you’re out of the loop, here’s a little summary of their careers: Tina Fey jumped out of the SNL nest first, and experienced success with her sitcom “30 Rock.” She and Poehler were reunited with recurring political impressions of Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton, respectively. I’d almost vote Sarah Palin into office just to see some more of those fantastic sketches (no, I guess I’m not that desperate). They later co-starred in “Baby Mama.” Finally, Poehler graduated from SNL and landed her own show, “Parks and Recreation.”

To me, they represent two sides of one coin. They are the new Marilyn Monroe and Jackie Kennedy — goofy in place of glamour. Tina Fey possesses the mean wit and the bookish style, while Amy Poehler embodies joy and optimism.

Both oppose eating salad and favor carbs. They’re great role models, and their humor isn’t female-exclusive, just…different flavors, perhaps? It used to be, “Are you a Jackie or a Marilyn?” Now it should be, “Are you a Tina or an Amy?”

Despite their success, they still get hassled. Journalists still ask, “What’s it like to be a woman in comedy?” Who cares? It’s not the 1800s. Women are in comedy, just like everywhere else.

Now, I’m no feminazi, but it’s awesome to see two women in leading roles, and a relief to see women who can work together. Usually we just see women pitted against each other, or we see dull female leads in dramas. The duo might be each other’s competition, but they don’t act like it. Like Poehler’s character Leslie Knope says, “Hoes before bros. Uteruses before dudereses. Ovaries before brovaries.”

My roommate was incorrect. Women are funny. “Parks and Recreation” is brilliant. “30 Rock” is brilliant. And you should be watching both.

_Emily Luft is senior journalism major. Her column appears every other Friday in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com. _