Authors: Andrew Schaller

After a heartbreaking overtime loss to Arizona State University last Sunday, CSU women’s basketball looks to bounce back and get its first win of the season tonight against the University of Tulsa.

The Rams will try to continue playing well and not overlook Tulsa, which hasn’t gotten a win in 15 straight games dating back to last January.

“You have to treat every team the same,” sophomore Sam Martin said. “We have to make it seem like they’ve won 15 games in a row. You have to come out with that energy.”

Coming out with a high energy offense will be the goal for the Rams, especially for senior Kim Mestdagh, whose day turned around against Arizona State when she started playing more aggressively in the second half, leading the team along with Martin with 17 points.

“Coach (Kristen Holt) already talked to me about it,” Mestdagh said. “She tells me I need to go from the start of the game and be aggressive and take it to the hole, and not just rely on my shot.”

While CSU wants to stay aggressive from the beginning of the game, it has to be careful to not commit too many turnovers, which, in a close game, can be the difference between a win and a loss.

“I think it goes back to taking care of the ball,” Holt said. “(We have to be) getting good shots and not playing frantic, and we just have to stay composed.”

The Tulsa game on Thursday and then the game against the University of Colorado on Saturday will mark the end of a three-game home stand for the Rams before they go on the road to play four straight.

“It’s pretty big,” Holt said of the weekend. “I think you want to take care of your home court, and this would be a great time for us to get it (their first win) this week.”

Helping CSU compete for its first win will be junior Meghan Heimstra, who is expected to return to the court after suffering a left thigh injury in the second half of the Arizona State game.

Heimstra was held out of most drills in practice this week merely as a precaution.

“We’re just kind of being cautious,” Holt said. “She should be OK.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

What: Tulsa vs. Colorado State

When: Tonight at 7 p.m.

Where: Moby Arena

Live chat: Collegian.com