Community Briefs 11/16/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Drive-by shooting near Laurel Elementary

Fort Collins police responded to a drive-by shooting that occurred Tuesday around 12:52 p.m. near Locust and Stover Streets.

According to a press release, two teenage males were walking near the area and saw the victims engaged in a verbal exchange with the suspects, who were in a gold four-door sedan.

One of the suspects exited the car and fired several shots in the vicinity of the victims before fleeing the scene in the car. No one was injured.

The suspects were described as two Hispanic males, and one suspect was believed to have a small amount of facial hair.

As a precautionary measure, nearby Laurel Elementary School has been placed on a soft lockout, which, according to a news release, means the doors have been locked while classes continue as normal.

Anyone who sees a vehicle matching the description are asked to report the license plate number and location to police.

Gear for a good cause

Thanks to the CSU Outdoor Club, students can prepare for adventures and donate to a good cause.

Wednesday in the Lory Student Center Lower Commons the club is hosting the Gear Silent Auction Fundraiser for Larimer County Search and Rescue and Alan Arnette’s Seven Summits for Alzheimers Project.

The auction will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. with the ski movie, “Facets of Winter,” being shown in the Ramskeller afterward. Tickets for the movie are $5.

Voile, Sierra Designs, Mountainsmith, G3, OtterBox, Kelty, GoLite and more donated gear for the auction.

Those who attend also have the chance to be part of a raffle for more gear. With the purchase of the raffle ticket comes a free Otterbox waterproof case and Voile ski strap.

All proceeds from the raffle and silent auction go to LCSAR and Alan Arnette’s Seven Summits for Alzheimers Project.

Using comedy to end racism

Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom, ASAP is presenting The Kamau Bell Curve: Ending Racism In About An Hour.

The show is a comedy show that explores the current state of racism in America.

According to a news release, Kamau Bell forms a comedic and intellectual performance out of topics that some might find uncomfortable.

“When I initially began doing The Bell Curve, I immediately realized that I enjoyed the idea of taking one subject, attacking it from different angles, and trying to find unique approaches to something that we as a society spend lots of time thinking about,” Bell said in a news release.