Community Briefs 11/15/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Tour de Fat raises more than $400,000 for nonprofits

According to a press release from the New Belgium Brewing Company, the Tour de Fat, New Belgium’s bike-oriented costume party, has raised more than $400,000 for cycling-related nonprofits.

Nationally, this year’s Tour de Fat had more than 41,150 cyclists, which represents a 34 percent increase from 2010.

The stop in Fort Collins drew 20,000 attendees and raised more than $90,000 locally for Bike Fort Collins, Overland Bike Club and the Fort Collins Bike Co-op.

CSU women receive all-region cross country honors

CSU’s Nicole Peters and Ellie Keyser earned all-region honors for their effort in Saturday’s Mountain Regional, according to a press release.

The United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association honored Peters and Keyser for finishing in the top 25 individually at each of the regional sites with all-region accolades.

Peters finished the race in 21 minutes and 30.5 seconds, placing 15th, and Ellie Keyser snagged a 24th place finish with a time of 21:48.6 in the 6K, leading the team to a fifth-place finish out of 19 teams during the race on Saturday in Provo, Utah.

Only two other teams in the Mountain West had members receive all-region honors: New Mexico and Texas Christian University.

English Professor to give Women’s Studies and Gender Research Visiting Scholar Lecture

Lynn Shutters, a professor in CSU’s English Department, will be speaking Tuesday for the Women’s Studies and Gender Research Visiting Scholar lecture.

The title of Shutters’ lecture is: “What’s love got to do with it? Marital love, medieval through modern and the gay marriage debate.”

Shutters’ research focuses on representations of wifehood, marital affection and classical, pagan women in late-medieval English and French literature, according to the events calendar.

Shutters currently teaches “British Literature 1” and “Modern Women Writers” in the English Department.

The lecture will start at 4:30 p.m. in the Grey Rock Room of the Lory Student Center.