Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Kim Mestdagh had two shots at it, but couldn’t sink a three pointer to send CSU’s game against Arizona State University to a second overtime.

ASU led 55-52 with 30 seconds left in the first overtime, and was fouled after securing the last rebound with just over two seconds left. Junior Micaela Pickens made one of two free throws to clinch it 56-52 for the Sun Devils.

The Sun Devils could have won it in regulation, but missed a jump shot from far outside the three-point line.

“(We switched) every screen, and if they get a shot off it’s going to be the toughest shot they’ve ever taken in their lives,” Mestdagh said.

Mestdagh finished tied for the team lead with 17 points, but also dished out seven assists and pulled down five rebounds. She didn’t collect her first field goal, however, until she hit a layup with 11:39 remaining in the second half.

“I’m glad Kim took the shots that she did, because she’s got to shoot,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “When she took it to the basket I think it shows what she can do when she struggles from the outside.”

CSU led 23-22 coming out of halftime, but the Sun Devils used a 12-2 run at the beginning of the second half and lead by nine with 16:07 left.

Mestdagh tied the game at 40 with 4:26 remaining, completing a comeback that eluded the team in its first game against Northern Iowa.

“We’re definitely mentally a lot stronger than what we’re used to being,” Mestdagh said. “From experience I know that maybe one out of ten (previous games) we would have come back.”

Both teams struggled to generate any offense in the first half, combining to shoot 29 percent from the field and turn the ball over 19 times.

“That shows how much of a defensive game it was,” sophomore forward Sam Martin said. “They stopped our offensive game in the first half.”

Martin finished with 17 points and five rebounds, and played 41 minutes in relief of junior Megan Heimstra, who fell to the floor hard after she was blocked and was helped off the court.

“We’ve been working for this since the summer,” Martin said. “You definitely feel pressure, but we just have to know we can do this and try to win the game.”

CSU plays Thursday at home against Tulsa, still looking for its first win of the season after losing to two NCAA Tournament teams in its opening weekend.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Defensive Struggle

Total turnovers: 34

Total blocks: 11

Combined shooting percentage: 29.7