Authors: Brandon Barrett

Those looking to help out a good cause were in luck this weekend. But, instead of the usual inquiries for monetary donations, this annual drive asked for something different –– hair.

CSU’s National Panhellenic Council hosted a hair drive this weekend, with all donations going to Locks of Love, a nonprofit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children who have lost their hair due to disease.

And while the official drive, which ran from Thursday to Sunday has come to a close, it isn’t too late to donate.

Three salons within Fort Collins that are accepting donations for the Locks of Love foundation include Tuana Hair Design, The Laurels Salon of Distinction and The Mane Door Salon, which makes donations year-round.

“We always donate whatever hair we cut off and we set aside our time at least once a year for this program,” said Carol McEndaffer, the owner of Laurels Salon of Distinction.

Each salon offered free haircuts to anyone who was willing to cut off six to 10 inches of his or her hair and donate it to the drive. Six inches is the minimum amount of hair required to donate while 10 inches are ideal for creating a hairpiece.

“This supports a lot of young women to change their self-image,” said Amber Reese, the coordinator for this year’s drive. “Going to school without hair is a traumatic event for them and giving them a hairpiece improves their self-image.”

Junior business major Stephanie White, a member of Pi Beta Phi, was one of many CSU students who gave their time and hair to support the event.

“I thought my hair was just too long so when I went to get my haircut I just decided to donate it to those less fortunate than me,” White said, adding that she also donated her hair to Locks of Love three years ago.

“There are so many people out there who need it and it really does make a difference,” White said. “It is so easy for us to take for granted how well off we are and if I can give some of my hair then I will.”

Salons within Fort Collins are expecting to have between 30 to 40 participants during the three-day long event.

If your hair isn’t long enough or you missed the event deadline, however, there are other options for those willing to help out the cause, Reese said.

“Locks of Love foundation does have donation forms [www.locksoflove.org] where people can donate money or send their hair directly,” she said.

Collegian writer Brandon Barrett can be reached at news@collegian.com.