Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The controversy surrounding Penn State came to an unfathomable end with the termination of legendary coach Joe Paterno and school president Graham Spanier on Thursday.

Paterno’s fate has been the focus of the sexual abuse scandal surrounding Penn State, but the spotlight needs to be placed on former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

Sandusky is accused of sexually molesting up to eight young boys in the team’s showers, but the conversation coming from this terrible crime revolves around Paterno and his tarnished legacy instead of the real heart of the matter.

Whether Paterno did all that he could have – or should have – is not the issue here. The concern is a man used a charitable organization to befriend young boys and then proceed to abuse their trust and the trust of an entire community.

What this man did will affect these boys, who are now men, for the rest of their lives. That is not something we should easily forget.

The debate needs to discuss what punishment Sandusky should face and how important it is to know where your children are and who they spend their time with. Not how a football coach will be looked upon by his fans, peers and media after he is gone.

This story goes far beyond the lines on the field. State College, Penn. will never be the same because a man the community looked up to mistreated his power, not because Paterno no longer coaches a football team.