Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

When it comes to higher education funding, lately, it seems all we’ve been hearing about is what we’re not getting.

And with the failure of Prop 103 on the ballot, it’s easy to get frustrated with the seemingly minuscule support the university is getting amid the significant rise in tuition.

But hardly anyone knows about the $85 million the university received from private donors just for this year alone –– and everyday, we blindly benefit from these donations.

So the Collegian would like to speak for the entire CSU community in thanking the 27,677 private donors who gave to the university this 2010 – 2011 fiscal year.

The donors, which consisted of alumni, “friends of the university” and even a small number of current students, helped to fund new scholarships, faculty positions and renovated educational and athletic facilities.

Since student tuition only covers a third of university costs, the money we receive from private donors is not only helpful –– it’s a necessity for CSU to remain functioning.

And while it’s not ideal, private funding is acting as a very vital crutch for our university in a time where state funding is continuing to dwindle.

So thank you again, donors. Because while rising tuition is awful, it’d be even higher if it weren’t for your generosity.