Authors: Lydia Jorden

It’s the man next to you, your professor teaching, your co-worker, your friend, your sister, your wife, your child and many of the people around us.

Tomorrow marks the day in which we, a society of citizens, make an effort to commemorate those who have served our country in any military-like capacity.

Though honoring those who write a check to the government in the amount of their lives should not be reserved for a given holiday, having a specific day does have a purpose. Workaholics, busy families and everyday citizens are reminded to reflect on the hard work and outstanding accomplishment and performance provided to us by veterans.

What many people fail to recognize now is that anywhere you turn, a veteran is sure to be in sight.

Veterans, in the past, may have solicited an “old-person”

connotation. I know I have been the victim of thinking the term veteran applied to only elderly individuals.

These days, although older veterans are still recognize, we should extend our thanks to those in our schools, offices and neighborhoods.

Many people who fail to acknowledge that veterans are not of all ages demonstrate a disconnect from war. As a society, we need to embrace all veterans without favoring one demographic over the other. They’ve all served for us and should be recognized for it.

Veterans aren’t just old people who fought a war 50 years ago. They’re our age. They’re in our classes. They’re a part of our generation.

Taking part in Veteran’s Day festivities is one way to show appreciation for those who have saved our lives.

Ceremonies and parades are among just a few of the events that intend to evoke a response of integrity toward those who serve.

CSU brought a variety of events to salute veterans in the form of a veterans’ breakfast, presentations by diverse veterans and a question-and-answer panel of experts who were eager to reply and share their stories.

Wednesday, CSU will also offer a “reading of all the names of the Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom causalities with university students across the nation observing a pause at noon to observe a simultaneous ‘minute of silence.’”

This event will be easy to participate in. Show your support for those who have made the United States one of the best countries to live in. The event will take place on the Plaza, so reflection on this day should be relatively simple, since walking in the Plaza is routine for most of us.

If nothing else, be a part of the moment of silence. One minute out of your life to reflect on the caring nature of others is hardly much compared to the endurance of those who serve, but it is admirable to show the respect.

CSU does make an effort to celebrate these heroes; however, it shouldn’t and doesn’t stop at the university level.

Many states will be having 2011 Veteran Day ceremonies at VA National cemeteries. If you’re interested in showing your appreciation this way, the Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver will be hosting an observance at 11 a.m. on Friday. An event like this will surely engage and facilitate quite an emotional response as it helps citizens understand the impact our veterans have on our daily lives.

It’s OK if these events aren’t for you. Simply reading this article to reflect solicits some thought on the subject.

The most important thing about Veteran’s Day is to understand that the majority of veterans are those individuals who constantly surround us — probably the ones that we would never assume to have participated in war.

Tomorrow, make a difference in a veteran’s life. Thank the man next to you, your professor teaching, your co-worker, your friend, your sister, your wife, your child and many of the people around us.

Lydia Jorden is a junior business major. Her column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. She can be reached at letters@collegian.com.