Authors: Jason Pohl

Students leaving the Colorado winter behind and traveling to their out-of-state home this holiday break can now do so on a tighter budget.

A new agreement between the Associated Students of CSU and Super Shuttle begins Monday, allowing students to travel to and from Denver International Airport for just $10 each way.

The current cost is $25 each way with a student discount.

“I think the biggest selling point for students who do travel is that it’s another resource for them,” said Chase Eckerdt, director of governmental affairs for ASCSU. “While the traveling is complicated and frustrating sometimes, hopefully this makes that aspect of their travel a little more convenient.”

Full-time, fee-paying students can pick up vouchers beginning Monday from the ASCSU office, located in the Lory Student Center. Personal information will be confirmed, and the vouchers will be issued for each direction of travel.

Students then only need to give this voucher, along with a $10 payment, to the shuttle driver who will meet students at their dorm or Fort Collins apartment for no extra fee.

“It’s a good deal for us, its a good deal for them (Super Shuttle), it’s cheap in terms of our budget, and for students it’s cheap,” Eckerdt said. “It’s a pretty good deal.”

Eckerdt added that, after parking and gas for a trip, the costs add up, even for just a weekend trip.

“It’s crazy to go to the airport and back for 20 bucks,” he said.

Vouchers collected by the Super Shuttle company will be tallied, and a monthly bill will be sent to the university, similar to already existing accounts.

Ben Reichenbach, a junior biology major, said the deal is a great idea, especially for out-of-state students. He said it would definitely be cheaper than parking for a week at a time or even buying gas both ways to the airport.

“If I couldn’t get a ride, it definitely makes more sense than trying to park,” Reichenbach said.

A need for cheaper transportation to the airport was something ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg recognized as a common need for students around the campus community during elections last spring.

A representative for Super Shuttle was unavailable for comment about the deal at the time of publication, but Berlinberg said working with them was easy throughout the deal-making process.

“We said let’s do it –– it benefits students,” he said. “We asked the questions, and everything kind of worked out.”

The ASCSU Senate approved Berlinberg’s budget last spring, which appropriated $6,000 dollars to the program. He said the cost was then cut down to $4,000 after further analysis of a similar program used several years ago.

Some logistics of the deal are still pending, including if a serial number and personal information will be recorded on each voucher and if a limited number of vouchers can be used each semester.

But Eckerdt is confident the program is in good shape and will make things a lot easier –– and more affordable –– for students this holiday season.

“The biggest thing is the service is online, operational and moving forward for the holidays,” he said.

Senior Reporter Jason Pohl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

The Super Shuttle Deal will…

Cut costs from $25 each way to DIA, to $10.

Provide service from dorm, apartment or house

Have vouchers available in the ASCSU office starting Monday