Community Briefs 11/10/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Polo club takes on SMU

The CSU women’s polo team, a student-run club team consisting of 40 members and 23 horses, will take on the Southern Methodist University Mustangs Friday evening at CSU’s B.W. Picket Equine Science Center located north of Elizabeth Street on Overland Trail.

The club, which was founded in 1972, has won three national championships and prides itself on introducing many people to the sport, according to the club’s official website.

Tickets for the game are $5 at the door and free for children. All proceeds go directly to feeding and caring for the polo horses.

Art in public places opens up contest to community

The city of Fort Collins recently announced a contest aimed at encouraging community members to make our corner of the world a little more beautiful.

Art in Public Places, a city-wide project that has volunteers paint ordinary Fort Collins manholes and electrical boxes, will now include a chance for community members to win up to $250.

For more information, visit the city’s official website at fcgov.com. Submissions must be received by January 3, 2012. Besides a monetary reward, winners will also be honored with their very own storm drain or manhole cover.

Cooking with a healthy surprise

As part of the the “Secret Ingredient Dining Series,” students are invited to attend the “Loving Legumes” session tomorrow at noon in Gifford’s Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center.

The culinary director for tomorrow’s event, registered dietitian Michelle Manson, will demonstrate how to cook several legume-inspired dishes (with one “surprise bean”) –– and attendees are encouraged to utilize their newly acquired knowledge to cook the meal at home.

The “Secret Ingredient Dining Series” focuses on teaching CSU students and community members how to cook with both taste and health in mind.

Tomorrow’s event is open to the public, and interested attendees can register at nutritioncenter.colostate.edu.

‘The Little Prince’ visits the UCA

Tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the University Center for the Arts, a prince from another planet will go an adventure to seek the meaning of life.

CSU’s Young Producers Association is straying from its usual cutting-edge repertoire with the production of Autoine de Saint Exupery’s family-friendly “The Little Prince.”

The show will take place in the UCA’s 2nd Floor Large Acting Lab, and it is free and open to the public.