Lights- Concert Review

Authors: Riley Yerkovich aka DJ Skywalker

The stage was set, the fog was rolling and the small, Canadian musician named Valerie Poxleitner, known better by her stage name Lights, was about to put on a show that will stand out in my memory for a long, long time. My roommate Nick and I drove down to the Marquis Theater in Denver last Tuesday night to catch the Siberia Tour, in support of her new album also entitled Siberia. I have been a major Lights fan for the past three years and had been waiting for a chance to see her live, and let me emphasize, she didn’t disappoint.

As an avid concert goer, I am used to seeing and hearing musicians struggle to reproduce the same sound that is heard on the record and, in most cases, it doesn’t bother me a whole lot because I know how hard it is to get up there and play live music at record quality. This was absolutely not the case for Lights. Her vocals, especially, caught me totally off guard by being about as close to perfect as any musician can hope to get.

It’s very difficult for me to choose a favorite Lights tune but if I had to choose three, I’d go with Ice, Flux and Flow, and Toes, all of which she played to perfection on a cold, snowy Tuesday night. The stand out track of the show was definitely Flux and Flow. The vocals that she produced for this song give me chills every time. I was surprised that she played it, considering there is an entire verse rapped out by Shad. Nevertheless, she found a way to skip over the verse by bringing in a heart-stopping synth bit that I enjoyed immensely. Ice, a hit off of her album “The Listening” was a very close second and Toes was a huge hit with the crowd as well. Both of these songs have very well written lyrics that many people can relate to.

As a kid who usually finds himself at hardcore shows full of flailing fists, feet, arms, and legs, Lights definitely receives a different type of crowd reaction. Singing along and even some crying were both things I witnessed at the show (while I may not be guilty of tears, I definitely sang along to almost every song she played). It was a change, attending a show where I wasn’t in danger of being spin-kicked in the chest or elbowed in the mouth but, alas, I’ll be back to that some time this week. All in all, Lights put on a wonderful show that I would absolutely recommend. I fully plan to attend another one of her performances as soon as I can.