Community Briefs 11/09/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Giving thanks to university donors

CSU students will find out the meaning of the number 27,677 Wednesday. The number represents the donors who have given monetary donations to the university throughout the year.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the Plaza students can show their appreciation to these donors by signing a thank you postcard. Those who attend will receive hot cocoa and a special giveaway.

According to a news release, private giving has established 418 scholarships, created 13 new faculty position and helped renovate buildings on campus.

Outcomes of the Indian Adoption Project

Wednesday at noon in Aylesworth C111 students will have a chance to learn about the history of American Indian transracial adoption.

Susan Harness the CSU field director for the Tri-Ethnic Center for Prevention will explore how it impacted American Indian families and culture, through an examination of how the adoption was used as a tool of assimilation.

The event is sponsored by the Women and Gender Advocacy Center, Native Women’s Circle and Native American Cultural Center.

According to a news release, Native Women’s Circle aims to retain female Native students at the university by providing a culturally inclusive and sensitive atmosphere.

Clearing up a clean energy conundrum

Experts are looking to the future of Colorado’s energy development and use Wednesday at 5 p.m. at Avogadro’s Number.

All are welcome to attend The Clean Energy Conundrum, hosted by the School of Global Environmental Sustainability.

The event will host a distinguished interdisciplinary panel of CSU experts. The panel includes Director of the Center for the New Energy Economy Bill Ritter, Dr. Ken Carlson from the department of civil and environmental engineering, Dr. Thomas Borch of the department of soil and crop sciences and Dr. Mark Paschke from the department of forest and rangeland stewardship.

The panel will be moderated by Dr. Gene Kelly, chair of the department of soil and crop sciences.

As part of the Managing the Planet Panel Series, the event is being co-hosted with Beet Street’s Culture Cafes.