Authors: Emily Kribs and Libby Williams

Emily Kribs, freshman

The weekend is a great time for doing cool, fun things that aren’t lame at all, so I spent mine visiting my family at home. Yeah, it’s getting close to Thanksgiving, but I desperately needed some boots for important reasons like walking and snowball fights.

I like my dorm just fine, and my roommate is pretty cool. The independence is great. But after a while, there are some things I can appreciate about home, like good food, free residency (for me, anyway) and complimentary parking.

Another one of these things would be privacy. I miss having a room to myself, where I can throw a private Daft Punk dance party without my roommate looking at me like I’m insane.

Another major issue would be convenience. Earlier this year, my shower decided that four girls’ discarded hair was too much to bear, and as a result ceased that silly draining business. This is an issue I think I would have been equipped to handle at home, or at least I could have given it a shot.

It would’ve been nice to have a plunger, perhaps, or maybe some bleach to pour down the drain. Not the most environmentally friendly of solutions by any stretch of the imagination, but in my eyes, it was preferable to turning to my RA, which is, of course, what I had to do.

My RA is a decent person, but she was about as reluctant to call for help as I had been. Before calling on any of the expertise, she first sought the help of another RA on the next floor. Now this person I’ve got some beef with; her first course of action was to turn on the shower until the basin was filled to the brim, causing it to overflow into the adjacent rooms. She then turned to us and informed us, “This shower is not draining.”

Gee whiz, Einstein. How’d you figure that one out?

The matter was resolved, of course, but man, that was some unpleasant smelling business that I still think a plunger could have dealt with.

Life on campus is by no means unbearable, and in most cases it’s fun. But it does help me appreciate some aspects of living at home. I guess dorm life could be “character-building” –– my room here is much tidier than its counterpart at home, and I’ve learned there are some things I can go without, like snow boots, when I have to.

All in all, though, it’s safe to say I’m looking forward to living in-town and off-campus.

Libby Williams, senior

Living off campus isn’t all it is cracked up to be. The term “poor college student” takes on a new meaning once you start living on your own, outside of the dorm environment.

Living in a tiny cube of a dorm room that could be compared to solitary confinement for an entire year does suck. It’s refreshing to get your own apartment sophomore year –– complete with your own room, your own refrigerator and even a bathroom that you don’t have to share with 25 other people.

But dorm life has its benefits. Freshmen might not think so now, but living on campus is actually really easy.

Sure, living in the dorms seems expensive, but paying one upfront fee is awesome. You don’t have to worry about the first of the month rolling around and having to scrape up the money to cover your rent. And dorm dwellers take for granted the fact that they don’t have utilities and Internet bills coming in all the time.

If you have a job, your paycheck is just spending money. When you live off campus, paychecks go toward bills. Off-campus students typically can’t afford to buy three 30 racks of beer a week and eat out just as often. But living in the dorms makes that possible.

Maybe the most important point is that having to eat dorm food isn’t as bad as you think.

Before CSU, I went to a junior college where there was a single cafeteria on campus that was barely a glorified high school lunch room. We had the choice of one main dish, hamburgers and sandwiches. The only benefit was having an ice cream machine… when it was working.

CSU dorm food is AMAZING compared to that. I’ve made friends with freshmen just so that they can scan me in to their dining halls so I can gorge myself with pizza, spaghetti, salad, chicken nuggets and an omelet all in the same sitting.

Plus, when the dorm provides your meals, you don’t have to go to the grocery store. I’ll admit, my first time buying my own groceries was liberating, but now it is definitely a chore. And did I mention, you have to spend money on it?

Still worse is that when you live on your own, you have to cook. That is a good 30 minutes of planning and preparation. Even making something quick, like Hamburger Helper, interferes with “Grey’s Anatomy.” And when you cook, you have to clean up after yourself, which means you have to do dishes. Yuck.

I’ve lived in dorms 2.5 of the 5.5 years I’ve been a college student, and that still didn’t seem long enough. So enjoy dorm life while you can. You’ll only appreciate the hidden benefits of dorm-living once you’ve paid that $1,000 deposit, the first month’s rent and filled your apartment’s cabinets.