Community Briefs 11/07/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Up Til’ Dawn finale rescheduled for next semester

The Up Til’ Dawn event finale has been rescheduled from last Saturday, Nov. 5 to Feb. 25 through Feb. 26 next semester.

According to an email sent out to already registered participants, the extra three months will allow teams who participate in the fundraising time to increase funds and get others involved.

The goal for each team is to raise $500 for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In turn, each team will be invited to attend the finale event, which according to the email, will be bigger and better with free food, games, a costume contest and great prizes, including a trip to Memphis.
To register for the event go to www.stjude.org/UTD.

Women’s basketball dominates second exhibition game

CSU women’s basketball closed out its exhibition season with a convincing 62-49 victory over CSU-Pueblo on Saturday.

The Rams were driven by junior Meghan Heimstra who tallied her second double-double of the exhibition season with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Team leader, senior Kim Mestdagh, led the team in scoring with 23 points to go along with five steals and eight rebounds.

CSU starts the regular season on the road against Northen Iowa Friday night.

CSU engineers, scientist use computer models to improve drug effectiveness

CSU engineers and scientists are using computer modeling in order to improve the comprehension of how enzymes convert pharmaceuticals and pollutants, once metabolized in the human body, into harmless forms.

Computer modeling supplements laboratory experiments as well as help scientists understand how the body absorbs chemicals and how rapidly reactions happen, according to research assistant and professor Arthur Mayeno.

“Enzymes mediate the transformation of drugs,” Mayeno said in a release on the official university website. “When two drugs compete, they each aren’t metabolized as fast. The role of these enzymes is to break down chemicals foreign to the body.”