Authors: Kate Winkle

Almost two and a half months after settling into the dorms, Parmelee residents will be packing up once again for a move from the south side of the building to the renovated north end around Thanksgiving break.

“The move’s going to be a pain,” said freshman resident Alyssa Rehder, a human development and family studies major. “But (the new building) is going to be so nice.”

Construction on Parmelee began May 2011, and is slated to be finished by June of next year, leaving the summer months for landscaping, said Rick Pott, the Housing and Dining Services Facility Planner.

The renovation process for the south side of Parmelee will follow a similar pattern to that of the north side. Workers will complete the majority of demolition work over winter break, and the south side will remain inaccessible to residents throughout the spring semester.

“Students will get to take advantage of the new student kitchens, lounge and elevator, and will be entered into a lottery for the new fourth floor rooms featuring lofted ceilings and AC,” Pott said in an email to the Collegian.

All residents who submitted applications for one of the 16 single rooms on the fourth floor have been assigned those rooms, but those in double rooms throughout the dormitory will select their new living spaces in a drawing on Nov. 6.

“The biggest concern from residents in Parmelee was splitting up suitemates when they moved to the north side of the building,” Pott said. “We listened to that feedback and have given priority to suitemates in the room selection process so they can stay together if they’d like to.”

Parmelee residents were aware of the mid-semester move when they signed up to live there. They will officially move to the building’s north side around the end of November and will receive assistance and moving supplies from Housing and Dining Services.

Inevitably an ongoing construction site creates disturbances for residents who live nearby and results in noise complaints, but Tonie Miyamoto, Director of Communications and Sustainability for Housing and Dining Services, assured that Housing and Dining Services have worked closely with the contractors to minimize resident disruption.

“I kind of got used to (the noise),” said freshman resident Courtney Noonan, a communications major.

“The Parmelee students have been wonderful this fall and have a close-knit community with just over 200 students in the building,” Miyamoto said in an email to the Collegian.

“We have received very positive feedback from Parmelee students on the renovation and have heard a lot of excitement from the residents about moving to the newly-renovated half of the building.”
Residents like Rehder are eager to utilize these new facilities.

“It’ll be a fresh start; nice and clean and new,” she said.

Collegian writer Kate Winkle can be reached at news@collegian.com.