Community Briefs 11/04/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Pow-Wow of Native American culture

Friday at 10:30 a.m. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom, traditional Native American culture will be celebrated through singing, dancing and food during the annual CSU Pow-Wow.

To start the morning off, the seeped-in-tradition “Gourd Dance” –– which is believed to have originated with the Kiowa tribe –– will be performed in conjunction with a Native American dance competition.

The Pow-Wow will continue with the “Grand Entry” –– a traditional Native American parade consisting of ceremonial dancers performing with tribal chiefs and headmen.

A “Pow-Wow Feed” will close the evening, and it will consist of a buffet of traditional Native American food.

Sponsored by the American Indian Science and Engineering Society, the CSU Pow-Wow is free and open to the public.

Wayans brothers to make CSU laugh

This Sunday at 8 p.m in Moby Arena, Marlon and Shawn Wayans of “White Chicks” fame will take the stage for a night of brotherly stand-up comedy.

The Wayans brothers started their comedy career in the sketch-comedy series “In Living Color,” in which they starred with other members of their family, including other brothers Keenan and Damon.

They’ve been featured on Nickelodeon, and they also helped to write and produce the “Scary Movie” series.

Sunday’s show is put on by ASAP in partnership with Air Force Reserve. It is open to CSU students, faculty and staff, and today is the last to pick up free tickets and the Lory Student Center Box Office.

Discover ‘Harry Potter’ among the stars

Sirius Black, Draco Malfoy and Luna Lovegood are all beloved ‘Harry Potter’ characters who have something un-earthly to share beyond their magical powers: all their names are inspired by astrological constellations.

And tomorrow at 5:45 p.m. in the Bobcat Ridge Natural Area, students and community members alike can enjoy an evening of ‘Harry Potter’ stargazing led by the Northern Colorado Astronomical Society.

The Society will begin the evening by revealing the starry origins of many of the characters’ names, and it will conclude with looking for said stars with professional telescopes.

Participation is free, but reservations are required. Interested muggles can register at www.fcgov.com/webtrac.

Lincoln Center hosts a gift extravaganza

For the 31st year in a row, the Lincoln Center Support league will put on the Lincoln Center Hall of Gifts tomorrow and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

At the holiday tradition, more than 50 booths of handmade items such as jewelery, clothing, glasswork, pottery and food items will be displayed in the Lincoln Center Canyon West and Holiday Rooms.

Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for children one and under –– tickets are available at the door.