Artist Molly Landreth

“Embodiment: A Portrait of Queer Life in America is a new art exhibition at the Poudre Arts Center in Fort Collins. The exhibition includes 80 photographs and 18 short films about queer life throughout America.

The artist, Molly Landreth has been working on this project for six years and teamed up with Amelia Tovey in 2009 to incorporate some of her photos into short films.

“The films were the result of footage from the photo sessions and interviews. I wanted to incorporate the videos to give voice to the people that I was photographing,” said Landreth.

Landreth traveled around the country to both urban and rural locations to give a different perspective of queer life rather than those in the cities.

“I wanted to show that queer life exists everywhere,” said Landreth. “The photographs in the show represent just a fraction of the archive.”

The inspiration for Embodiment came from the desire for Landreth to see the representations of the queer community that pushed beyond the common media stereotypes. Landreth wanted to portray the individuals in their daily lives and she wanted to portray a beautiful, complex and bold portrait of queer life in America.

“I ask them to wear something that is representative of whom they are or want to be – and to take me somewhere that will provide an interesting backdrop to their lives,” said Landreth.

Landreth was invited by Hamidah Glasgow, the Executive Director of The Center for Fine Art Photography at the Poudre Arts Center to present her exhibition to the Fort Collins community.

“I hope that if people go into the exhibition thinking that there is such thing as a “Gay Lifestyle” that they would be questioning exactly what that would look like after the show,” says Landreth.

Landreth says the inspiration for the title and the theme for Embodiment after reading “In a Queer Time and Place” by Judith Halberstam. The writing really resonated with what Landreth was trying to portray.

After viewing the exhibition, Landreth hopes that the Fort Collins community will see that life is surprising, creative and complex and that you are not alone.

“My work is about love, not only for your partner, community or family…but also for one’s self, and I hope that’s what people take from it,” says Landreth. “The journey from idea to completion and all of the mini-adventures that have gone on in the meantime…have ushered me into adulthood and given me the best education and rewarding experiences of my life.”