Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The NBA lockout is the result of overpaid, over praised athletes and their union bickering with wealthy team owners who aren’t happy with the mere millions of dollars they make.

Both sides claim the other gets too much of the collective pie, and as a result, games have officially been cancelled through at least Nov. 30. The players are giving up paychecks, the owners are sacrificing revenue and the fans are missing out on games.

But lost in the fray are those people who are getting financially damaged the worst—the workforce.

The NBA is a big business that employs thousands of people in 30 major cities around the country.

Sure the players can afford to miss a season and the owners can certainly survive a yearlong battle for $4.3 billion, but the blue collar workers in America cannot.

Think about how many people depend on NBA games to make a living, to put food on their families’ tables. From concession stand workers, janitors and even up to team level employees like trainers.
They are all missing out on jobs.

Workers at Madison Square Garden, home of the New York Knicks, lose out on anywhere from $75 to $250 for every single home game missed. That’s $10,250 a year just one person will not make if the season is lost due to labor disagreements.

Professional basketball goes beyond the men on the court and the suits in the luxury suite.

It’s time the NBA owners and players think beyond themselves, if only once, and consider the damage they’re causing the people who already face tough economic times.