Authors: Jen Obrin

In order to get into the political spirit, I decided to see “The Ides of March.” Starring George Clooney and Ryan Gosling, “The Ides of March” will keep you on the edge of your seat and wondering what will happen next on the road to the White House.

Mike Morris, the governor of Pennsylvania (Clooney) is in a cat and mouse game against Senator Pullman (Mike Mantell), for the Democratic Presidential nomination. Morris is desired by liberals because of his environmentalist ideals and his love for the Democratic Party.

Stephen Meyers (Gosling), teams up with Morris as a member of his campaign staff. His talents and ideas for the campaign, as well as his belief that Morris is the best hope from America, are portrayed throughout the film.

As with true politics, this film is also full of drama and excitement. The majority of the film is centered around who will win the Ohio primary. The rest of the campaign staff believes Morris is the best fit for America but, Meyers finds out some interesting facts about Morris’ past and an intern.

A slew of questions arise. Will Morris take Ohio? Will Meyers jump ship and join Pullman’s campaign? And what happens with the intern?

Not only did Clooney star in this film, but he also directed it. As an actor he did very well, holding himself as a true politician. As the director, he also gave the rest of the cast room to work and shine.

This film will keep the audience wanting more and wondering what will happen next. It is an interesting portrayal of how politics works and what events and conversations take place on a campaign trail. I give the film 4 out 5 stars.