In 2008, then-Sen. Obama’s campaign mastered the use of emerging social media and the Internet to accomplish a feat previously believed impossible; motivating the young voters to not only show up on election day, but to vote for his consistent record of nihilism.

How far we’ve come. An estimated 51 percent of eligible voters age 18 to 29 voted in that election and 66 percent of those voted Democrat. Truth be told, the Democrats could have nominated Elvis and McCain still would have found a way to lose.

Choosing between one candidate nearly as dedicated to preserving the Constitution as a starving tiger is to preserving a goat and a candidate with no discernible record of achievement outside of education and campaigning, similarly dedicated to the Constitution? In the words of the anti-hero Lone Star, “Barf.”

The record young voter turnout in 2008 plummeted to 24 percent in 2010. I like to think the young voter took only two years to realize they’d elected yet another total sellout, but in reality, the scourge of the youngest generation of American adults, apathy, once again reared its ugly head.

Those statistics don’t receive nearly the level of scrutiny as mid-term and general election years as the issues are limited to state and local issues. Take this year for instance: The voter turnout for Fort Collins’ new ban on medical marijuana dispensaries likely will support the ban.

Why is voter turnout so low in off years? I’d love to attribute it to a logical reason, such as Fuzzy’s Taco Shop’s Trivia Tuesday or dollar Tacos or double stamp Tuesday at the Golden Spoon; unfortunately, the young voter is manipulated by media and the pressure to get out and vote is greatest on general election years.

The younger the sheep, the easier they succumb to the herd mentality. Somehow, the rebellious attitude of the earliest generations of Americans has succumbed to ennui and indifference when left without guidance. Not competent guidance, mind you. Oh no, an ignorant sheep isn’t much better than a lemming.

For instance, how has it not occurred to a supposedly free people, the tremendous conflict of interest that exists in allowing unionized teachers –– who nearly universally support a political party whose very nature is predicated upon believing government is infallible –– to fill the minds of their children?

The mind reels at the absurdity of our situation. Today, because of young voter lethargy, the city’s older voters are moving to ban medical marijuana dispensaries from city limits entirely supported by the unsubstantiated and highly questionable claim that marijuana crime in the city increased after MMJ came to town.

Give me a break. These are the same people who support housing ordinances intended entirely to restrict the presence of college students. In the words of sitting Mayor pro tem Kelly Ohlson, “Their [Colorado State University students] presence is a problem.”

If you want a lesson in political execution, Fort Collins provides one every other year. If a hot button issue is going to come up on the ballot, you can bet it won’t be in 2012 when the students may be motivated to actually set aside their pursuit of wine, women and song. Er, to be politically correct: spirits, sex and sounds.

It’s quite amazing how well the dumbing down of the American population has played into the hands of the political class with whom we’re so angry. The Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street movements started with nearly identical grievances against the federal government.

Yet the first was co-opted by disenfranchised conservatives who almost immediately upon the general election of 2008 abandoned their cause for the familiar and fertile pastures of god, guns and gays. But OWS was immediately distracted into thinking the banks and Wall St. are somehow ethically or morally bound to cease bribing the legislative and executive federal politicians to rewrite the rules in their favor.

A college population with nearly unquestionable widespread firsthand knowledge of the effects of marijuana would allow idiotic legislation to go through when they have the numbers to suppress the tide, simply because it’s inconvenient to show up one day a year?

We’re completely without hope. Never you mind the thoughts of change. If you don’t vote in the local election today, if you didn’t research the issues before voting and if you don’t seek out information prior to next year’s primaries and general election, you’re part of the problem.

Ted Nugent? Yep, he was right. Though never a more accurate pseudonym was penned than his, The Motor City Madman recognizes a Stranglehold when he sees one.

Seth J. Stern thinks taxing marijuana is more beneficial than prohibition. His pragmatism usually appears Mondays in the Collegian. He can be reached at letters@collegian.com.