Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As college students, we tend to get a bad reputation for our turnout in elections, especially non-presidential elections like the one taking place today. Although these special elections might not have the glitz and glamour, there are still issues on the ballot, both local and statewide, that are important to our age group. And as members of a community, it is key that we exercise our right to vote.

The Collegian editorial board would like to highlight two issues on the ballot that are of importance to our college age group: Proposition 103 and Question 300.

Proposition 103 is a state-wide measure that would generate an estimated $536.1 million toward public education from preschool to college. To do this, the sales and income tax rates would be raised. State income tax would go from 4.63 percent to 5 percent, and state sales tax would rise from 2.9 to 3 percent.

On Proposition 103 the Collegian editorial board urges a yes vote. As college students, we know first hand the state of our higher education funding, and this plan is a step in the right direction for us.

Question 300 would ban the 20 medical marijuana dispensaries within 90 days, if passed. On this issue the editorial board urges a no vote. The majority of our board is not convinced by the crime statistics brought forth by the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office. We also feel the use of medicinal marijuana is a legitimate form of care for many in our community.

No matter what your view is on these issues, we urge you to get out there and vote.