Authors: Bailey Constas

The Lory Student Center main ballroom saw more wigs, boas, corsets and impossibly tall heels than usual Saturday night as part of the annual fall drag show, which brought in more than 1,100 people and saw a line that wrapped around the entire student center.

The show, put on by the Student Organization for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer and Allied People of CSU (SOGLBT), included a variety of talents ranging from drag queens and kings to dance crews.

Nate Todd, a freshman communications major, co-hosted the show with Robin Ward. Both were sporting drag attire, Ward in a suit and Todd in a skirt.

“I don’t usually wear drag,” said Todd, who auditioned for MC out of support for the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA). “This is all new to me.”

Extravagant outfits like the floor-length embroidered cape worn by Minor Misdemeanor, who opened the show, were staples throughout the night. Misdemeanor, who has performed in previous CSU drag shows, threw Tic-Tacs into the audience as a replacement for glitter and confetti.

Other performers, like Amanda Day, Katrina James and the local indie band Candy Claws all hit the stage to add different aspects to the night. Day, who strutted the stage to “Saxobeat” backflipped in stiletto heels, James performed “Frank Sinatra” and Candy Claws lip synced to Aaron Carter’s “Candy.”

Ashley Wylde, known for her YouTube videos, was asked to come and perform her original song “I’m Wylde” at the show.

For Wylde, it’s all about originality and being true to yourself.

“It’s great being a part of something bigger that exposes my community to the public,” Wylde said of the show.

While the event was free to the public, attendees were encouraged to donate funds for the upcoming spring show, which will raise money for the Northern Colorado AIDS Project (NCAP).

Audience members handed their single dollar bills to the performers throughout the night.

For those too shy to stuff dollars down bras and skirts, audience members could also give money directly to collectors.

The audience contained all ages and interests. Family members of the performers, as well as allies of the GLBT community, looked on with anticipation.

“I came because I heard it was awesome last year,” said Shannon Ourada, a sophomore international studies major.

Many were in costume, but all came with one single purpose: to support SOGLBT and see outrageous performances.

“This has definitely been the most entertaining thing we’ve done all night,” said Kelsey Hell, sophomore political science major.

The show raised $970 in the first half of the show and ended up with $2,100 by the end of the night — the most they’ve ever raised from a fall show, according to Jess Cytron, the president of SOGLBT at CSU.

SOGLBT began as a small and highly cautious group in the 1970s. Cytron explained that students would have to go to a phone inside of a closet located in the LSC basement. They would then have to call a number, hang up and wait for the phone to call back with information about the next meeting, which would change every time for safety reasons.

Now, with the drag show drawing more and more audience members each semester and creating more visibility of SOGLBT, the days of closeted meetings are long gone.

If you want to be a part of next semester’s drag show and to promote the visibility of the GLBT community, SOGLBT meetings are every Thursday at 6 p.m. in room 103 of the Behavioral Sciences building.

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.