From Here To Drag

Authors: Hannah Woolums

The Student Organization for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender community on campus is there to help or listen to anyone who comes through their door. They provide support for GLBT students and sponsor events every year to raise awareness about issues that effect the GLBT community.

One of their most popular events, the annual Fall Drag Show, which is held to raise money for the Northern Colorado AIDS Project, is happening this weekend.

Dressing in drag is a way that some members of the GLBT community show off their diversity to the student body. For junior Danielle Odelson, it’s a way to have fun and express herself.

“I think it’s a way to let loose and get out of your gender box,” Odelson said.

A drag show is very different from a regular theater performance. The show is more about the audience and their support. It is an environment where people of all genders and sexualities can feel comfortable.

“It gives people a space to embrace their individuality,” Odelson said.

As for being a drag king, what started as joking around turned into a passions that allows her to show her individuality while having a great time playing Justin Bieber. She derived inspiration for her drag king identity from a few girls that lived on her hall freshman year, who thought she looked like Bieber.

“Everyone joked to me to be in drag,” Odelson said. “I dress like Justin Bieber every day so I didn’t really have to change.”

Going by the stage name ‘Just In Time,’ Justin Bieber is the only celebrity Odelson has ever impersonated in the drag show over the two years she has been an active member of SOGLBT. This year’s show will be held in the LSC main ballroom this Saturday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. and is free to anyone who wishes to attend.

“[Drag] is about making yourself more masculine or feminine,” Odelson said. “It’s about individuality and the power to transform yourself into who you want to be.”